Anime Lights
April 25, 2018, 01:23:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 25 Years of Zelda  (Read 2006 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:59:54 am »

"The Legend of Zelda" reaches a milestone. Twenty-five years ago, the game first debuted in Japan. Released in the U.S. 18 months later, the iconic franchise has since spawned a number of spin-offs, in addition to a TV show, books, merchandise, and a cult-like fan following.

The world was first introduced to Link on Feb. 21, 1986 on Famicom, Japan's Nintendo console. It went on sale for the NES in the U.S. the following year. In the quarter century since the game first appeared, more than 15 official versions of The Legend of Zelda have been released on all of Nintendo's consoles.

Created by legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, who is also behind the Mario Brothers series, The Legend of Zelda has sold more than 59 million copies worldwide, and it's the fourth-best selling Nintendo game of all time, behind the first three Super Mario Brothers titles.

The most recent Zelda title, Spirit Tracks, was released in December of 2009 for Nintendo DS. Nintendo is set to release an additional Zelda title called Skyward Sword later this year.

Nintendo celebrated the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Brothers, another one of the company's iconic franchises. When it was first released in 1985, the game sold more than 40 million units worldwide.

Zelda's notable anniversary has prompted nostalgia around the Web. Gaming site 1UP has posted an all-encompassing retrospective of the game's 25 years, including roundups of the best Zelda commercials, Zelda merchandise, and 25 facts you didn't know about the game.
http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/1905713.html
1up's Retrospective: http://www.1up.com/news/legend-of-zelda-turns-25

I never played any until Occereina of Time because I didn't like the cartoon. It was a mistake.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »

The cartoon intro at 1Up is my first exposure to the show, it does look pretty awful.  Nintendo seemed to goof up often around the start of the 90s, from that first Zelda commercial to allowing the Mario Bros. movie to happen, not to mention Zelda on CDI.  I remember playing the first Zelda, Link to the Past and possibly Zelda II, but the first one I can remember beating is Ocarina of Time.  I've had Twilight Princess for a while but still need to play through it.  Skyward Sword will be the first Zelda made just for the Wii.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:10:15 pm »

A lot of that can be blamed on having real competition for the first time and not knowing how to handle it. Until the Genesis came along, you didn't have a choice between consoles. The Atari tanked a couple of years before Nintendo entered the market. Then you started seeing the split in gamers you have today. You had the Sega fans, the Nintendo fans, and later the Sony fans. By the time Sega went bankrupt, Nintendo had become seen as a "baby" system since their exclusives were usually kid friendly and the gaming world had grown up. They still haven't shaken that image, but the Wii created a whole new market, so it doesn't matter any more. They're the system for non-game nerds now.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:49 pm »

Nintendo had to try something different after the GameCube took a permanent back seat to the PS2.  (Seems to me like the GameCube library was always lacking compared to the N64 and Wii, which wouldn't have helped.)  They built that new market with the Wii, and in the process turned off a lot of traditional gamers from motion controls.  It's kind of funny to see Microsoft and Sony scrambling for a piece with their recent controller releases.

Things might have gone very differently if Nintendo had kept working with Sony on that CD-ROM drive for the SNES.  Maybe a few generations of joint projects.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:48 pm »

I don't know if a CD add-on would have worked. It would have had to be a totally new system. The SegaCD failed, badly, but Sega didn't keep the momentum they had with the Genesis very long anyway.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:54 pm »

Add-ons for consoles seem to often fail.  A hard drive was designed for the N64, but it never made it out of Japan.  The PS2 also got a hard drive, but the only reason to have the drive was to play FFXI.  Kinect and Move are basically add-ons, and their success depends on stealing Nintendo's audience.

Still, after the SNES drive failed, Sony and Nintendo might have done well with brand new systems.  Maybe a console that combined the strengths of the Playstation and N64.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »

Most people are done when they've bought the console. I remember a lot of GC needed add-ons to play properly, like that Zelda game you needed the GBA version.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:13:46 pm »

Final Fantasy VIII referred to an add-on that was never released in the US.  You need it to play a chocobo mini-game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PocketStation
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:34:43 pm »

At the time, Sony was planing on releasing it in the USA, but cancelled for whatever reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: