Anime Lights
January 21, 2018, 11:50:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3DS Complaints  (Read 2310 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:46 pm »

No reports of eye cancer, but this thing will kill your eyes anyway.

Nintendo’s much anticipated 3DS has been launched, but the reception is proving mixed – a great many users are reporting using the 3D mode for any length of time hurts their eyes, whilst Nintendo has issued an unprecedented advisory to “take a 15 minute break every 30 minutes of 3D play.”

Some 3DS players report eye strain in as little as 5 minutes of play, and there are a great many such reports. Just what size proportion of players is actually experiencing problems is as yet not clear, however. Nintendo fans will doubtless be hoping this is just a very vocal minority, as well it could be.

This is rather at odds with Nintendo’s official health advisory though – Nintendo urges a 10-15 minute break every hour for normal non-3D play, and an unheard of 10-15 minute break every 30 minutes for those using the 3D mode.

Whether sales will be as high as anticipated is also now a matter of some doubt – far from shops being left short on stock as with some other hit Nintendo hardware, Japanese buyers are reporting no difficulty acquiring the 3DS at all. Whether this is merely a commendable supply situation or an actual lack of interest amongst buyers remains to be seen.

[Update: some stores in central Tokyo locations eventually did report running out of stock, although it appears the 3DS is still well stocked in most other locations - in the absence of statistical data it is hard to draw valid conclusions, although it is apparently by no means a bad launch...]

Having invested so much in its 3D display only to find the feature is painful and potentially harmful to a seemingly significant portion of its customers may yet prove to be Nintendo’s undoing, although reports from those not experiencing actual pain are otherwise positive – not that the launch line-up is proving terribly tempting.

http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/1922414.html

I don't know about the sales though, maybe Japanese gamers aren't as rabid as they used to be? There were similar reports about the PS3 and they were going for next to nothing on Yahoo Auctions.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 09:26:23 pm »

This is starting to look like a Virtual Boy 2.  I recently read that the 3D was a relatively recent addition to the system.  Nintendo may soon wish they had left it out.  They should know how to properly test stuff by now.

I also saw an interesting bit of info that the site with the list of the greatest game commercials had.  Realistic graphics aren't that big a deal in Japan, with, like, only 10 of the top selling games in Japan for 2009 being on the PS3.  The success of the Wii wouldn't help either, though.  There's some other interesting stuff, too.

http://www.dorkly.com/article/8573/the-dorklyst-10-western-gaming-trends-that-never-caught-on-in-japan
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:41:25 pm »

I doubt most players on either side care about realistic graphics. I haven't met many who do.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:02:33 pm »

It's definitely still something that "hardcore" gamers care about on this side, but they're in the minority these days.  They'll eagerly wait for Sony's handheld just for that portable graphic power, especially if the negative 3DS stories continue.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:06:15 pm »

I prefer story, a game can have beautiful graphics and no story. There was nothing on the PSP that interested me, but I've bought dozens of games for the DS. All story driven with the graphics an after thought.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:14:11 am »

Sometimes they make an effort to focus on a strong story to go with amazing graphics.  FFXIII is one of the best looking games I've played, and it was meant to be driven by a good story.  It backfired a bit with their American audience, when the end result was a very linear game.  Then they released FFXIV too soon, seemingly with most of the development time spent on the visuals.  Often, a focus on graphics does come at the expense of other elements in a game.  Nintendo has proven that graphic power isn't everything, since releasing the DS and Wii.  Now they need to somehow prove that 3D isn't bad for you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:43:20 am by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:34:59 pm »

An Ocarina of Time remake was announced for the 3DS
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:31:46 pm »

I saw a Star Fox 64 remake too, I'd be interested in both of those.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:30 am »

There should be two resident evil games avaliable at launch in the us, one's an obvious money grab, the other looks good though.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:55:09 am »

I saw a 3DS in action yesterday at school. I'm impressed. I wasn't sure how it would work without glasses, but the 3D effect works.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:32 pm »

Is it a bit like the old holographic images they used to put on cereal boxes?
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 03:11:16 am »

From a distance, but up close it's amazing.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:03:29 pm »

Maybe I'll get to try one at a local store.  There are reports of "black screens of death", but they don't seem to be common.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: