Anime Lights
January 22, 2018, 12:10:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenchi Characters and Crisis  (Read 2433 times)
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:51:23 am »

Just pretend for a bit that the Tenchi characters existed in real life. What would they do to help out with the current disaster situation in Japan? For example, would Washu help resolve the nuclear situation at Fukushima? Would Sasami help distribute food and blankets to the homeless? Or would they just stay home, drink sake, and watch it on TV?

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:52:42 pm »

I think they'd all be out there helping, with time.  Ryoko would pretend to be indifferent at first, saying it doesn't involve them.  Washu would give a firm warning about the radiation danger.  Sasami wouldn't be able to take watching the coverage and doing nothing for long, soon heading out there by herself on Ryo-Ohki in the middle of the night.  Tenchi would also be deeply affected, and would have no choice but to join Ayeka as she goes after Sasami, using some other means of travel.  Ryoko would tag along, saying it's to make sure Tenchi isn't left alone with the first princess, but she'd end up doing a lot of good with her ability to fly and pass through walls and debris.  Washu could do various things to keep the radiation situation from getting any worse, from storing the whole electrical plant in another dimension to quietly repairing it from a distance, depending on how big a spectacle they want to make in front of the earthlings and the media.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »

Hehe, Washu dropping the whole Fukushima plant into one of her void holes would get control of the situation in a hurry. ^_^;; I agree that none of them would sit around and watch for very long. The aftermath of the tsunami would likely bring back a lot of bad memories for Ryoko because of the things that Kagato had made her do in the past and in this might be an opportunity for Ryoko to redeem herself in some way. Her ability to pass through things would be very useful for finding survivors. If anything, I think that Tenchi would be the one to follow after Sasami and join her in the humanitarian aid. Tenchi has always been a hard worker, but never one to seek his own glory so getting involved on a low level like passing out basic necessities to the needy would be right up his alley. Ayeka would be best suited to persuade the Jurai government to get involved and help out at least financially if not more directly. The disaster really isn't conducive to a romantic encounter, so the Ryoko-Tenchi-Ayeka love triangle would likely not come into play in this situation. Kiyone would very likely want to help out with search and rescue along with Ryoko, and of course Mihoshi wouldn't be far behind. Even Noboyuki could be helpful with his architectural experience in doing damage assessment and designs for rebuilding afterwards. So yes, plenty of work for all of them to do ... except for Yosho/Katsuhito ... I have a hard time finding something for him to do ... ^_^:;

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »

I meant that Ryoko would use the subject of romance as an excuse to go help.  ^_^;  But yeah, with her past she might not need an excuse to do something here that's not in character.  Umm...  As a priest, maybe Katsuhito would be providing spiritual support, either at the family shrine or near the disaster?  I'm not familiar with the role that religion might play in such a situation in Japan.  Though a governor in Japan had to apologize after calling this "divine retribution", which I understand is an outdated concept in the country these days.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:33:09 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:27:40 am »

That is a good point, certainly the Japanese people would be in need of spiritual support as much as material support in times like this. Prayer is something that transcends time and space so Katsuhito wouldn't need to go to an actual site for that reason alone. However, leading the survivors in prayer services would be much more directly affective and would require that he journey to the disaster sites. There's also been large numbers of funerals associated with the crisis, so Katsuhito would certainly be helpful with all of these too.

The comment about "divine retribution" could be interpreted in many ways and not necessary outdated. It is understandable that a lot of people are upset and angry over this. Pointing a finger at God and saying "This is all your fault!" is a serious accusation, but communicating your true feelings to God is never a bad thing and it is the first step towards resolving the bad feeling of anger. On the other hand, if someone uses this natural disaster as an example of "divine retribution" in order to judge a group of people guilty of some unspecified sin, then you are correct, that concept is pretty much outdated in Western culture.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:05 pm »

He had said the disaster was punishment for egoism in the country's politics, though I'm glad that he apologized.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/15/tokyo-governor-apologizes-for-calling-quake-divine-retribution/

I'm also glad that Americans have shown strong support for the Japanese, but a few do make comments about this being punishment from above.  It's discouraging to know that even now, there are still people pissed over Pearl Harbor.

Another thing that Washu could do to help would be to find a way to end the aftershocks, which keep rattling nerves and hold up repairs to things like internet cable lines.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:25:24 am »

If egotism in politics is cause for divine punishment then all of us are hopelessly doomed ... ^_^;;

Trying to stabilize the seismic activity under Japan would be a little bit more of a challenge for Washu. Many things could be done but, short of solidifying the Earth's core, huge amounts of power would be needed to manipulate the movement of tectonic plates. Washu is certainly capable of providing such power, but I'm not sure that putting something like that in the hand of us Earth dwellers would be such a great idea.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:07 am »

Selflessness in politics does seem like a rare trait.  ^_^;;

Think that Tokimi would be able to lend a hand in this situation?
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

Having Tokimi get involved would make things a little too interesting as she normally deals with problems on a cosmic scale as opposed to something more localized like this. The odds that she might overdo it would be pretty high I would think. However, there is something I can see Tokimi being very useful for. The way that the Japanese government has handled things so far has been pretty uneven - some things have gone very well like the humanitarian aid, but the infrastructure problems (not just the nuclear plant) have been handled rather sloppily. Tokimi-sama would be able to reorganize things a bit to get better results from the government itself, indeed this would be like a kiddie toy compared to what she normally runs. ^_^;;

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: