Anime Lights
January 22, 2018, 12:14:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4Kids Sued By TV Tokyo  (Read 1366 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:42:45 pm »

On March 24, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems filed a joint lawsuit against North American media distributor 4Kids Entertainment, accusing the company of "underpayments, wrongful deductions, and unmet obligations" and stating that 4Kids now owes the companies US$4,792,460.36. The Hollywood Reporter website also states that the two companies have terminated their deal with 4Kids.

According to the documents filed by the plaintiffs, the companies conducted an audit on 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! business per their licensing agreement. This audit allegedly uncovered the aforementioned underpayments, as well as a "secret" agreement with Funimation, allowing them to "exploit" the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise via home video and hide the added income from the plaintiffs. By hiding this income, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems allege that 4Kids was able to pay them a smaller share than would otherwise have been owed to them. The complaint further alleges that 4Kids attempted to hide the secret deal rather than disclosing it as required by their licensing agreement.

Funimation is not listed as a defendant in the complaint.
http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/2014151.html

*wonders how they thought they'd get away with it*
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »

I didn't realize that a show like Yu-Gi-Oh! could be so profitable on home video.  Is it still popular in the US?  I remember a spin-off show being on Cartoon Network, but there's no sign of it now.  Anyway, I'll be rooting for TV Tokyo, after what 4Kids did to One Piece.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:59:43 am »

This kind of corporate crap goes on constantly and everywhere, much like a video gamer would find a glitch and exploit it before the devs get a fix on it. The only ones we hear about are the ones like this where a company actually get caught doing it. Lawsuits across international boundaries are a longshot at best and that amount could easily be swallowed by legal fees so the viability of going forward with a lawsuit isn't all that good, but it might make a good scare tactic to get 4kids to settle and pay up voluntarily

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:22 pm »

Besides legal fees, recent events in Japan might make this lawsuit even more difficult to see through.  The last article I read said that Japanese anime companies are, understandably, not working at full capacity, if at all.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: