Anime Lights
January 23, 2018, 01:26:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony's Issues  (Read 2861 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 27, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »

It's getting harder and harder to not hear about the security breach.  I bought something on PSN a month ago, but through a coincidence, that card number is no longer valid.  Anyone who's created a PSN account may have had login info stolen, though.  I thought about changing mine tonight through Sony's website, but it seems that requires access to the Playstation Store, which is offline along with PSN.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:38:45 pm »

SOE is affected too, apparently.  It's been a while since I had an active account for any SOE game, excluding a free-to-play one that I never used a credit card with.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6311008.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Sony will have a fun E3 in about a month.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:58:46 am »

Is the network still down? This is ridiculous.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 04:02:57 pm »

Just checked, still "undergoing maintenance".  I've read that when it's finally up, an update will be required, and passwords will have to be reset.  Changing passwords is exactly what everyone has been wanting to do anyway.  I'll be sticking to prepaid cards for all consoles from now on.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:51:09 pm »

That's how I always play online games you can buy add-ons for. I can go a bit overboard otherwise.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:07 pm »

Needing a card from a store does help to control spending, too.  I'll stick with prepaid cards for anything that allows it.  Sony has some work ahead of them to regain the trust of consumers.  I wonder if my personal details were possibly stolen twice, since I have a PSN account and played SOE games in the past?

The timing is bad with Nintendo due to reveal the Wii's successor next month.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 01:40:08 am »

Sony expects to have everything back up and running by the end of this month...  I had a feeling it would take a while when I read another story about servers getting moved to new locations.  I wonder how many SOE accounts have been cancelled.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 04:45:44 am »

I wonder if they'll have any business left. Over a month of downtime is ridiculous, especially for a company the size of Sony.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:57 pm »

They haven't handled this like a big company, even after the breach.  They went from promising restored service within days to this vague end of the month estimate pretty fast.  Online play may come back sooner.  They're promising freebies to PSN users to try to make up for it.  They might need to hand out more than a month of PlayStation Plus, one free game download and free identity theft protection for a year.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:34:37 am »

There's a partial restoration of service.  Took almost a month to get this far.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110515/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_sony_playstation
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:27 am »

PSN is fully online, just saw on Twitter.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 05:45:25 pm »

You can chat and play games online, though it seems to be crashing at times with the sudden flood of users.  The PlayStation Store still shows a maintenance message.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:06 pm »

When the store does come back, PS3 owners will have a month to download 2 free games.  They'll have to be from a certain list.  There will be other free stuff, too.

PlayStation Network 'Welcome Back' program offers free games

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
    Posted May 16, 2011 3:39 pm PT

PS3 and PSP owners getting two titles for each system; Infamous and Little Big Planet among console offerings while handheld fans can grab ModNation Racers, Killzone Liberation, more; free video rentals, Home items also offered.

With the PlayStation Network now back up and (partially) running, Sony has revealed its make-good program to recompense users for the three-plus weeks of downtime. In addition to the previously announced free month of PlayStation Plus, Sony will be offering PlayStation 3 owners two free games for download 30 days after the PlayStation Store comes back online later this month. The company will also be offering free video rentals and assorted other items to PSN users.

PlayStation 3 owners can download two of the following games on the PlayStation Store once the online marketplace returns later this month. The titles will be available for 30 days after the store relaunches and can be kept permanently following download:

--Dead Nation
--Infamous
--Little Big Planet
--Super Stardust HD
--Wipeout HD + Fury

PSP owners won't be left out either, with Sony offering two free titles for the portable, as well from the list below. Like the PS3 offerings, the PSP games will also be available for 30 days after the PlayStation Store relaunches.

--Little Big Planet (PSP)
--ModNation Racers
--Pursuit Force
--Killzone Liberation

In addition, Sony will be offering a number of free movie rentals over a single weekend, the selection of which will be announced soon. PlayStation Plus members will get 60 free days of subscription service, and over 100 virtual items will be offered in PlayStation Home for free. Offer details differ slightly for the European and Latin American markets.

As for members of Sony's Qriocity music subscription service, Music Unlimited Premium Trial subscription members will receive an extra 30 days of free premium subscription. Music Unlimited Premium/Basic subscription members will get an additional 30 days of subscription plus an equivalent number of days for the time lost.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6313943.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B2

I'm interested in a couple of the PS3 games being offered.  Might get two of the PSP games if I can get the thing online without a wireless network.  Come to think of it, it's probably not yet associated with my PSN account.  It figures that they'd only offer games they've published themselves.  Giving away Little Big Planet and Infamous also helps sales of the sequels.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:34:37 am by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 02:58:28 am »

PlayStation Network password-reset system compromised

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpot
    Posted May 18, 2011 9:45 am PT

[UPDATE] Multiple sources report Web-based method for creating new login info can be hacked with a user's e-mail and date of birth; Sony confirms "URL exploit."

Source: See below.

What we heard: Just five days after the PlayStation Network started coming back online, reports are surfacing of a new security flaw with the online systems. Based on an initial article on gaming blog Nyleveia.com that was reportedly confirmed by NeoGAF users and Eurogamer, hackers have discovered a new, simple exploit to change the PSN users' passwords.

The exploit is reportedly done via the Web pages Sony set up to facilitate the mandatory password changes required in the wake of the three-week PSN outage. All that is reportedly needed to perform the exploit is a PSN user's e-mail account and date of birth, which is among the data that was reportedly stolen from all 77 million PSN and Qriocity users last month. The exploit reportedly does not affect those trying to change their passwords on the PlayStation 3 or PSP, both of which can still access the PSN.

The official story: Though Sony Computer Entertainment America reps had not commented as of press time, a moderator on the European PlayStation.com forums offered the following information:

"Hey Guys,

Please note that PSN sign in is currently unavailable for the following services:

PlayStation.com
PlayStation forums
PlayStation Blog
Qriocity.com
Music Unlimited via the web client
All PlayStation game title websites

Unfortunately, this also means that those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being. This is due to essential maintenance, and at present, it is unclear how long this will take.

In the meantime, you will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information."

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus that the PSN password reset page that PlayStation.com directs users to is "currently down for maintenance."

Meanwhile, Nyleveia.com has reportedly performed the exploit multiple times with multiple volunteers' PSN accounts. Several websites have also posted detailed instructions on how to perform the exploit, so this also looks not bogus.

[UPDATE] Later this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior director of corporate communications and social media Patrick Seybold confirmed the exploit--and that Sony was quickly working to fix it.

"We temporarily took down the PSN and Qriocity password reset page," said Seybold on the PlayStation Blog. "Contrary to some reports, there was no hack involved. In the process of resetting of passwords, there was a URL exploit that we have subsequently fixed."

He continued, "Consumers who haven't reset their passwords for PSN are still encouraged to do so directly on their PS3. Otherwise, they can continue to do so via the website as soon as we bring that site back up." Sony offered no timeline as to when the sites will return.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6314351/playstation-network-password-reset-system-compromised?tag=topstory%3Btitle

My PSN account doesn't seem to have been affected, but this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:22:35 pm »

The PSN Store is taking a bit longer than they estimated.  Might be up by the end of the week.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: