Anime Lights
January 22, 2018, 12:06:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Remember your first anime?  (Read 2969 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:47:37 pm »

I can't be totally sure that I never saw a cartoon show of japanese origin while growing up.  The first time that I knowingly watched anime must have been around 1996, when a neighbor brought over Iria: Zeiram the Animation in VHS format.  I had expressed an interest in action movies, and he figured I'd enjoy it, which I did, even though it seemed really weird at the time.  He'd later bring over other things, including the first episode of Tenchi Muyo!, and around the same time I saw Record of Lodoss War, too.  Nearly made a site for that one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:51:42 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »

If I try to remember the first time I'd seen any animated show, I would have to think of some of the Disney movies like Alice in Wonderland that I saw when I was really young, about five years old. Seeing animated movies in a theater was a great thing because we didn't have a color TV until I was 9 so seeing animation in color was an awesome experience back then. ^_^ I think Battle of the Planets was the first Japanese animated show I ever saw, probably around 1980 or so. It was only a couple of episodes so I still think of Voltron as the first anime I was ever a fan of. I must have watched all of the episodes 3-4 times each I was so addicted to it. ^_^;; Anime wasn't broadcast on regular TV very often, so it wasn't until I got my own cable TV in the 1990's that I was able to really enjoy anime again.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »

Anime did get easier to find on TV, but lately it seems like there's a decline.  My cable line-up has hardly changed in the last 10 years and sucks in various ways, and I know I don't get certain channels that do run some anime, like Disney XD.  Syfy generally runs some anime late on Monday nights.  Adult Swim still runs it, but only on Saturdays.  (According to their own viewer numbers that they show, the anime always loses out to King of the Hill or Boondocks that night.)  I still fondly recall the times when Toonami was on every weekday, as well as weeknights at midnight and on Saturday mornings, featuring such things as Tenchi, Sailor Moon, DBZ and Gundam Wing.  I might even build a Toonami memorial site.  ^^

It was heavily edited stuff, but if it wasn't for Toonami, I probably wouldn't have ever started my Tenchi site, or given thought to my current career path.  Even if anime does have a decreased presence on television, we've still got the internet and plenty of uncut choices.  Er, or is the internet a reason for that decreased presence?
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:01:06 pm »

You two are probably too old to remember Nick Jr. Half their programming was dubbed anime. The first ones I remember watching were Littl' Bits, Adventures of the Little Koala, and Noozles.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:01 am »

Hmm, yep, though they look like shows I would have liked.  I didn't have much cable access before I was about 6, and then for a while all I watched was the Disney Channel.  (Which had little in common with the current one.)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:06:17 am »

The good old days when they made cartoons instead of crappy teeny pop.
Royden121
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 02:35:22 am »

Well My very first anime Pokemon,Second anime I ever watched was "Candy Candy"..It was my favorite so I remember this anime very well.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 04:46:48 pm »

I watched Pokemon here and there on TV, before and after Kid's WB grabbed it.  I hadn't known about Candy Candy, just looked it up.  Looks like a good show that's had a lot of distribution issues.

I need to familiarize myself with more of the older shows.  I've seen some of Lupin III, and most of Mobile Suit Gundam I think, just what they showed on Adult Swim and Toonami.  Mobile Suit Gundam got cut short on 9/11, which I can understand given the content of the series.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:14:37 am »

I took a look at Candy Candy too, and "distribution issues" doesn't quite capture the nature of the horrific legal mess the franchise is in, even now. It's too bad because it looks like a decent show. There are torrents available for download so that would be your best bet because a licensed release is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 02:23:58 pm »

Well My very first anime Pokemon,Second anime I ever watched was "Candy Candy"..It was my favorite so I remember this anime very well.

I looked everywhere for Candy Candy a few years ago, managed to find a few episodes dubbed in Spanish. I enjoyed it, but I couldn't really follow it. Its too bad the US doesn't get many shojo series.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 11:01:46 am »

Amazon lists Spanish versions of the show too, and yeah Maki, it's in quite a mess.  If the selection of anime on cable is any indication, companies assume that American anime fans are mostly male.  We've had Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor Sakura (or what they turned that into), but that was a while ago, can't name many other shows like those on American TV.  I'd say there's a lack in general of animated shows aimed at girls here, Japanese or not.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:34 pm »

We mainly get live action stuff like Sabrina the Teenage Witch or Full House. We don't really get many super-hero style / cartoon shows aimed at us. We had Princess Guinevere and Powerpuff Girls, then boys' shows would usually throw in a token tomboy character, totally ignoring the rest of us.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: