Anime Lights
April 24, 2018, 05:28:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 1633 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:55:13 am »

Any thoughts on how the prequels compare to the classic movies?  Or on the direction the franchise has headed in since the release of Revenge of the Sith?  I've been a fan for a long time.  Well...  After I got over my early fear of the dianoga that lived in the Death Star's trash compactor.  That eyeball on a stalk really freaked me out when I was little.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:22 am »

The franchise direction hasn't changed much since the second film, The Empire Strikes Back, was made. Only the original film wasn't made on the expection that it would become a blockbuster and so its strengths come from the acting performance and direction rather than a large budget. The newer prequel films are no doubt technically superior than the first trilogy, but substance-wise they are much the same as second two films of the first trilogy - some good story, but overwhelmed by special effects goodies most of the time. The Revenge of the Sith did bring back some of the epic storyline and interfaced it nicely to where the story picks up again in A New Hope so it gets my vote as the best of the prequels. The current works The Clone Wars movie and animated TV show are simply a spin-off from the main storyline so it is hard to compare the two. I'm a bit surprised that a Star Wars TV show wasn't done many years ago, but I guess that using the same actors as the movies would be cost prohibitive and lower cost substitutes would not go over well with the fan base. Animation is a good way to get around both of those issues - voice actors only need to sound like the originals. If you've read any of the Star Wars novels then you'll know that there is a great deal of material in the main storyline that has not been used in any of the movies so far. One book I've read recently, Millenium Falcon charts the history of this ship over a period of about 150 years, with the events of the six movies occupying only a portion of the middle of that. So it nicely expanded on what has already been presented and would also make a good film in itself I think. There is still a lot out there, so Star Wars is far from dead. How to keep it evolving correctly will always be the big challenge.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

Sometimes I wonder how Lucas would have done those early movies if he had access to the special effects of the prequels.  There's definitely been a preoccupation with pretty visuals, though I hadn't considered that it started right after A New Hope.  I've always thought that the first movie set the bar for later special effects, but like you say, acting was also a focus.  Spin-offs are probably all we can expect for Star Wars in the near future, with both the cartoon on cable, and that live action show being produced for a premium channel.  The Clone Wars isn't bad, but besides being aimed squarely at kids, you know how things will ultimately pan out if you've seen Revenge of the Sith, except for the fate of Anakin's padawan.  I'm more interested in the live action show, since it's set between episodes 3 and 4, though I probably won't get to see it right away.  I'm also interested in the new MMORPG, since I enjoyed the previous Old Republic games and Bioware is one of a handful of developers that I trust.  Just need a new computer...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:37:07 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:50 am »

Many years ago, there used to be a comic strip in newspapers that charted the events and travels (Rebels' journey from Yavin to Hoth) of the main characters between episodes IV and V, which at the time were films #1 (Star Wars) and #2 (The Empire Strikes Back). I remember there were a few interesting things going on there that could have been made into a film too, however there really wasn't an epic climax and conclusion to that story. Originally film #1 was titled "Episode III" and film #2 was titled "Episode V" so there was definitely something planned for that gap in the storyline. Most likely a cinematic production was abandoned long ago, but it may be covered in some of the novels. I've only read a couple of those, so there is a lot more I could look into. The live action TV show you're referring to is something I haven't seen but if it is available on cable premium only, I may have to wait until it is released on DVD before I see any of that.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:08:38 pm »

I was partially wrong about no more Star Wars theatrical releases, Wikipedia reminded me that Lucas is re-releasing the films in 3D.  I wonder if he'll be able to resist making further alterations during the conversion process.  I have fond memories of seeing the special editions in theaters, but not everyone liked the changes, and later home video releases saw more changes, like at the end of Return of the Jedi.

The new live-action show will take place between episodes 3 and 4, focusing on "minor characters".  Could be an interesting way to expand the universe.  I didn't know that A New Hope was originally Episode III.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: