Anime Lights
January 23, 2018, 01:25:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rift  (Read 1289 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 17, 2011, 05:13:19 pm »

I've been playing Rift periodically, after a family member kept recommending it enthusiastically.  It has a lot in common with WoW (most MMOs seem to), but it has elements that take it a step forward.  Rather than choose from a list of classes that all have set talent trees, you pick a class archetype: Warrior, Cleric, Mage, or Rogue.  Then, as you quest through the first several levels, you effectively pick your own three talent trees from the list associated with your class.  Each "talent tree" is like a class of it's own; one might be like a WoW warrior, another like a shaman.  You can have a melee fighter that can charge at enemies, hurl fireballs at range and command a primal cat from the deep wilds, like my high elf.  I've seen mages with skeletons and elementals following them around, though not both at once.  I've even seen rogues with pets.  The class flexibility is one of the strong points of the game, along with random events like the opening of rifts, which are like WoW's pre-expansion stuff but much better planned out.

There are two factions, one following the gods, the other relying on forbidden machines.  Any race can use any class, as far as I can tell.  All player characters are heroes who once fell in battle, and have now been brought back, through means that differ depending on the faction.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:29 am »

I tried the beta for Rift and had a lot of mixed feelings about it. The gameplay was pretty much the same as most of the other mmo's out there and the same with the class archetypes. The selection of skill tree paths is a little different, but choosing three out of eight possibilities is a bit sketchy as to how well they would work together. It seems like it would require a considerable time investment in trial and error and rerolling to get a class setup that would work well. It's a little bit too much theorycrafting for me. ^_^;; The rift events were fun and the public party mechanic is very nice in that no individual or guild can camp or monopolize a rift. The character that I made was something like a paladin but it seemed very squishy for a plate wearer. Even pulling just two mobs at matched level, I would get owned very easily but it's hard to say if the game is just difficult or I had no clue what I was doing. (More likely the latter.) The end result was that a game that isn't solo friendly won't last very long with me.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »

It's true that not every combination of skill trees would work.  I followed the recommendations given as you pick the first three trees in the early levels.  It's cool that I can either choose to charge at an enemy alongside my pet, or send the cat in first before I hurl fireballs.  Though my pet's damage seems to depend largely on one of my melee abilities, so I shouldn't make a habit of acting like a caster often.  ^_^;

I've been told that some WoW players are fairly hostile toward Rift.  In one case, someone lost all of her guildies to Rift, so some bad feelings would be understandable.  I'd think it's still too early to say if Rift is the new big game, but they seem to be doing a good job of releasing new content each month.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: