Anime Lights
January 17, 2018, 12:25:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenchi in Tokyo *possible spoilers*  (Read 2142 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:37:50 am »

About half-way through the Tenchi in Tokyo DVDs as I write this.  Before now I just had vague Toonami memories of the series.  The thing I remembered the most was that few fans seemed to like Sakuya.  ^^;;  I'm finding the show pretty entertaining though.  Is it just me, or are the girls besides Sasami much lazier and greedier than in the other Tenchi universes?  They didn't lift a finger to help Nobuyuki cook or clean while Sasami was sick.  They had already tried to steal Sasami's stash of money once, and tried to nab it again when they wanted to go out to a restaurant, while Sasami was still sick.  Granted, Ayeka, Ryoko, Mihoshi and Kiyone did attempt to earn money in Tokyo in an earlier episode, but only when threatened with smaller meals.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 11:17:28 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:40 am »

Sakuya wasn't a bad character, but because Tenchi in Tokyo was produced after all of the other material most of the fans had already become attached to one of the original girls and resented Sakuya getting in the way. The same sort of thing happened with Noike in OAV3 although I think they did a better job of writing Sakuya into the story than they did with Noike. Sakuya's alter ego Yugi was a really well written and well developed character and even though she is the "villain", Yugi is the character that I find most interesting in Tenchi in Tokyo.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »

Yeah, long time fans of a franchise won't easily accept new characters that make things harder for the old favorites.  There's also the new time-line to get into for Tenchi in Tokyo.  I was pretty confused when I found out that it wasn't an extension of Tenchi Universe, but I got to like each of the worlds.   Yugi really is an interesting character, and unlike most Tenchi villains, she has a persistent presence through most of the series.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 05:56:38 pm »

It's a good point to make about Yugi's "persistent presence" because it points out one thing that Tenchi in Tokyo has that none of the other variations of Tenchi Muyo have: a clean, full length story. Most conventional anime series have this but Tenchi Muyo's series are either a collection of short stories (Tenchi Universe) or story fragments without clear beginning or ending (OAV's). Some of the Pretty Sammy material has complete stories (Magical Project S, Sasami Magical Girls' Club) but only Tenchi in Tokyo is a complete, stand alone story from start to finish. I'm not really sure how to fit in GXP and Saint Knight's Tale though. ^_^;;

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:52:35 pm »

Heh, I'm not sure about GXP either, but I'd say Yugi is more menacing and important than any of the the villains in GXP.  In a way, little Yugi-chan is the, um, Naraku or Aizen of Tenchi, even if it's just for 26 episodes.  I'm getting toward the end of Tenchi in Tokyo now, and I'm also seeing that this is the only Tenchi series where we get to see Ryoko act like a space pirate.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:05:26 pm »

I'm not sure that Yugi is like Aizen from Bleach, Kagato yes, but not Yugi. Both Aizen and Kagato are extremely cold blooded and calculating, however Yugi has a very deep emotional dimension to her. We don't see it at first, but it comes to light when we see the flashbacks of Yugi's capture and imprisonment by the Jurai Empire. For me Yugi was hard to hate because she really wasn't evil at heart. Also, like Haruna in Tenchi Muyo in Love 2, Sakuya also serves as a catalyst for Ayeka and Ryoko (and the others too) to help bring out their true feelings for Tenchi ... and each other.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 05:08:11 pm »

Hehe true, Yugi has a side that I've yet to see in Aizen.  I just meant she's a villain that lasts through the series.  She did end up helping Ryoko and everyone else to express their feelings, though completely by accident.  Ryoko even seems to find peace with the fact that Tenchi may end with someone else, even if she still loves him.  Well, maybe she does...  With the way Tenchi in Tokyo ends, they could have probably continued it in some fashion, even in just a movie.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: