Anime Lights
January 23, 2018, 01:29:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Warcraft Expansion  (Read 7737 times)
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:40 am »

1 year WoW free! Yaaayy! Well, that was yesterday but today is close enough.
A few months from now, they'll start leaving to play other games again.
Yushers, and leave behind the community of turds that currently exists in WoW. Making the game brain-dead easy might have been good for the Blizzard bottom line but it totally ruined the player community. I'm sure it's gone for good, so hopefully the ignore features all still work lol ^_^;;

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13:43 am »

It's easier than ever, really.  ^_^;  When you level up, you're told what new abilities are available to you right away.  Class trainers can be found in many places now, reducing the need to pause your leveling and do some traveling.  You enter queues to get into dungeon groups, and teleport right in as soon as the group is ready.  No longer need ammo for any ranged weapons.  When an ability or spell is only available at certain times during combat, they have bright indicators showing up on the screen to let you know now.

I'd say the most challenging things in the game were certain class quests to get things like fast mounts or new forms.  I still remember the aquatic form quests for druids.  For one part, you had to travel a good distance, and then dive down into the sea.  All you had to do was find a lockbox and obtain an item.  But the box was in the same spot as a shipwreck, so far down that you started getting fatigued.  You depended on a bubble vent for air halfway down to the wreck.  It wasn't easy searching around in the dark down there with a very limited amount of time.  I managed to do it, and felt pretty good about it.  When I did the quest with another druid, I was dismayed to see they had moved the box up next to the vent, no where near the shipwreck, taking pretty much all the challenge out of it.  I imagine you just buy the spell from the trainers now.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 07:29:28 am »

I used to like the class specific quests that Paladins and Warlocks have, and they used to be pretty difficult to do and required a lot of work. The Paladin mount quest for lvl60 took a bit of work but made you feel like you accomplished something when it was done. I never finished the Warlock Dreadsteed quests because they changed it to a learned spell right around the time I was doing those. The druid quests I don't know much about because I didn't get a druid over about level 10 or something like that. Mages have very few quests to get spells like the sheep polymorph, but not many. Some classes like Warriors don't have any class specific quests which isn't really fair. Maybe at some point they will add more of these, but things seem to be going the direction of less work so I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with a lot of the more difficult questlines.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 09:10:52 am »

I recall doing a warrior class quest line a long time ago.  It was to obtain a new weapon.  Being around level 10, the weapon wasn't that spectacular, but the quests were fun.  I got to see the tough parts of both the paladin and warlock epic mount quest lines.  The paladin one was especially brutal, in that bone pit.  If they ever intended to introduce more class quests, it would be with the shattering, I'll find out if there's anything new.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:23 pm »

6.8gb patch

lol ... it makes me wonder why they even bothered putting a DVD in the expansion package. I could've reinstalled from the old LK expansion disc at this rate. BTW, I read that a French player reached 85 in about 5 hours of play time. He used less than ethical means and got banned but I will spend more time than that installing and patching ... ^_^;;

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:20 am »

I wondered why they bothered with DVDs, too.  My install was 8% done when it closed and opened the game launcher.  Wasn't a big patch for me on Tuesday, but I've been downloading things here and there for a while, as they released them.  With the shattering a couple of weeks ago, they had to make all those old, remade zones available to everyone, which meant one or two large downloads back in the fall.  It never occurred to me that the downloads included most of the rest of Cataclysm.  If I had realized I had nearly the whole expansion downloaded anyway, I would have just gone for the digital purchase.  All I really needed was the game code to access brand new zones and races.  ^_^;;

I figured that someone who hadn't been downloading those patches would install a lot from the DVD, though.  Are the DVDs already that outdated?  Or is it an issue of not having sufficient space on one DVD anymore?

I can picture a player hitting the cap that fast, if he/she knew exactly where to go.  Today I spotted worgen higher level than my shaman that hit 80 two years ago.  Blizz didn't restrict racial changes, after all.  Must be making good money off of those.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:23:28 am by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 03:57:21 am »

The DVD installed the game fresh to version 4.0.0, although that doesn't really mean much to me. It does seem like most of the new xpac content wasn't on it (the MPQ data file for "expansion 3" was about 680 mb whereas expansion 1 and 2 are about 2.6 gb each) which was pretty stupid in my opinion. Like you said, just e-mail me a license key if I have to download this much of it. Age of Conan came on 2 DVD's so it's not like that's an unprecedented thing to do. This morning before work it was half done so maybe by tonight it might be working. It does allow me to login with the patch incomplete, but it stops at the zone loading screen and just downloads more stuff ... file updates specific to the zone I guess. It's not exactly what I would call playable. I'm going to go see if they will give me credit for not being able to play at all yesterday.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 11:01:42 am »

The current version should be 4.0.3, which went live with the shattering, not including new areas.  4.0.1 was the first significant Cataclysm related patch, with a series of events building up to the expansion.  Remember the zombie apocalypse right before LK which interrupted questing and pissed people off?  This time around they had capital cities being "evacuated" during sieges by elementals.  Most of the NPCs left town until the siege ended.  If you had to talk to a dwarf in the Ironforge library, too bad.  ^_^;;

I usually let the launcher finish downloading and installing, even if it claims the game is playable.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:53:22 am »

I was able to get in and do some stuff last night, but mostly I was trying to compare to previous experiences. And maybe the memory is a little foggy, but there seemed to be little difference from a year ago. Once I figured out what to do with the Warlock talent tree I took my rusty old warlock back to Storm Peaks where I had left off. If anything, the game seems even easier than I remember from a year ago. That might not actually be true because some of the games I had been playing in the meantime are a good deal more challenging than WoW, lol ^_^;; One thing that I noticed is that the xp to next level isn't very aggressive. Somewhere I remember reading that Blizz was saying 80-85 would be like 70-80 but from what I saw last night, I seriously doubt that. 80-85 will be like 70-75 and even at my most casual pace I don't see that taking more than a couple weeks. So if I'm willing to get all 3 of my 80's to 85, it will keep me busy for a little while, but it will far short of the two years to the next expansion. I also have about 4 or 5 characters in the 60-70 range that I could work on I guess. The game is still not compatible with nVidia SLI mode so I had to turn that off to keep the framerate from falling off very badly. I guess Blizz is never going to fix that. >_< The new Stormwind looks pretty nice and Aly did find a couple mage class quests that were added in at some point - one in Shadowfang Keep, and one in Blackrock Depths. After I get the mage talent tree figured out, I'll see what I can do with those quests.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

It definitely doesn't take too long to get from 80 to 85.  My shaman is halfway through 80, and that's after just exploring the new areas a bit and trying some archeology, no actual questing.  It sucks that the game still isn't compatible with that graphics mode.  At least it runs though, any Mac users still using PowerPC processors will find the game is no longer compatible.  The Mac would have to be over 4 years old though, Intel processors like mine have been standard for a while.

If you have any death knights, you should know that frost and blood switched specializations.  ^_^;;
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 04:04:11 am »

I'm not sure when I'll get back to the DK characters, but I always do a little (not a lot) of research before setting the talent specs of any characters. Last night I saw a an 85 Worgen with Kingslayer, so it does appear that the difficulty level of this expansion is non-existent just like WotLK was. This might be even easier because I can't remember seeing any 75's two days after WotLK launch. On Ghostlands server I saw the "server first" 80 announcement three days after launch, not 5 hours like the first 85 with this expansion. This will be the norm from now on it seems - WoW is a raiding game and nothing else anymore. I did get to meet up with some of the old Wyld Knights again last night which was a great thing to see old friends again. I'm sorry that I didn't get to chat with you very much, both of us were busy on either end I guess. Archeology seems kinda weird because you don't gather usable materials and it would not be practical to start out at low levels because of where the dig sites are located. It will be a little while before I'll know if anything useful comes out of it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:06:28 am by Maki-chan » Logged

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06:04 am »

That worgen used to be another race, most likely.  Even if a worgen started at level 1 this week, I doubt there are many people heading out to kill Arthas.  While it doesn't take long to get to 85, it does appear that there's plenty to do in the new areas.  Probably enough to keep you busy well past hitting 85.

Yeah, had to log for a time last night.  I'm not sure what all the rewards of archeology are, but it's an interesting way to learn a bit more about the lore of the world.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:38 am »

I hadn't expected special requirements for new dungeons, not that I've tried to find any groups yet.  A minimum average gear level is required for entering the queue.  272 for the dungeons i see in my list.  If you spent a ton of time killing Arthas on heroic, you might have been all set as far as gear for new dungeons.  It's not too hard for everyone else to get their gear level up, either by looking for new greens, or questing for a while.  You also have to discover the entrance to a dungeon before entering the queue, which I like.  It's my hope that I won't need to use the queue, of course.  ^_^;
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 03:48:01 am »

I've seen a minimum item level requirement for the new enchanting recipes too - needs to be 300. Too bad I have mats and recipes, but no stuff I can use it on which sucks hardcore. I'll have to see if I can find any cheap junk on the AH to spam it on for skill-ups, or wait until I get some item level 300 gear for my toon. Blizz really needs to lose the gearscore metality ... it's just stupid. >_<

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 07:22:35 pm »

They've got similar limits on the new gems, even if they're green quality, though you probably have to be at or near 85 to have a new piece of gear with sockets anyway.  They don't want Cataclysm gems ending up in BC or LK gear.  The enchanting gear requirement is annoying, especially since you can't even equip level 300 items until around 82, but you likely could find cheap stuff on the AH to enchant.

A while back I had heard they would do away with gear levels, I guess that didn't work out.  They've embraced them more than ever.  ^_^;
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: