Anime Lights
April 25, 2018, 01:26:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New Warcraft Expansion  (Read 8194 times)
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 05:41:38 am »

Although, even without new enchants or gems the level of difficulty seems to dissipate rather quickly after getting some quest gear from the new expansion area quests. Aly hasn't even replaced all the LK gear yet and already she has 50% more HP, Mana, and spellpower. Cloth armor seems to resist melee damage like leather now - 30% reduction instead of 10-15% like it used to be. The high mob HP still makes things entertaining, but not nearly as precarious as starting Vash'jir with the old LK stuff. So far I have 2 81's and my horde warlock reached that almost entirely on old Storm Peaks quests. I wanted to finish that to get the Northrend Loremaster achievement ... now I have it on both sides. ^_^

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:30 am »

They do give you tons of HP between item upgrades and leveling up.  My shaman is 83 and has 55K HP, up from about 29K before the expansion.  From what I've seen, it's normal for level 85 toons to have about 100K minimum, with much more for tanks.  ^_^;;

I assume that healing spells vastly increase in effectiveness to keep up with all those health points.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 06:48:54 am »

I can't really say much about healing because my priest character won't get to the new content anytime soon. There have been a lot of complaints about healing being too hard in dungeon groups, but I'm guessing is that's mostly coming from LK era kiddies that weren't around in the earlier years of the game.

Yesterday, I found a questline where you get to play a Naga character for a while. It was actually pretty cool from a roleplay point of view and a lot like the quests in Storm Peaks where you play as a Vrykul. After everything from BFD to Coilfang Reservoir Blizz taught us to hate Naga for years, but it was good to see them make Naga interesting for once instead of simply "bad guys". It would have been a fun opportunity to roleplay with others but I'm not sure if the quests can be done in groups or not.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:53:42 am by Maki-chan » Logged

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 10:50:42 am »

It's probably a good thing that players are complaining about difficulty, though I'll leave the healing up to others for now, always preferred damage.  I've yet to go on runs in any of the new dungeons.

Yeah, I enjoyed the battlemaiden quests.  That shaman that sends you on them might return you to the phases even after you finish, I saw an option for it.  I imagine you could see other group members while doing it, just have to keep the different battlemaidens sorted out.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 06:37:06 pm »

Meh, players complain about everything lol. I'm not sure if you remember way back in the early days of WoW the first time we went to that elite troll area in the Hiinterlands? It took many hours to get to the top of that city and we had wiped so many times that I was finding shortcuts getting back in there from the graveyard. But we got there and defeated Vile Priestess Hexx to get the key and freed Sharpbeak. That really felt like winning a war ... blood + dirt + sweat = victory. But that type of game is gone forever. Nowadays healers get booted if the party HP isn't kept topped off or better yet, you don't get invited at all of your gear doesn't rack up enough points in an addon script. Even WoW's armory site will show what enchantments, gems, and glyphs your character lacks. That's what WoW is today unfortunately.

The type of linear phased progression game that is Vash'jir is much like a single player PC or console game but it suits me just fine because it is in many ways no different from the way I have been playing for the past 3 years or so anyways. About the only difference is that Vash'jir is just a single path you follow instead of making my own quest progression choices. (Like go to Duskwood or Ashenvale or Wetlands at level 20.) The underwater combat doesn't bother me either because they have aerial combat in Perfect World and Aion which is almost exactly the same as the underwater combat. I found the second set of battlemaiden quests today but according to the achievement page there is a third set so I will have to wait and see when that one comes along. It would be great if you could go back and do them again later on or get a Naga costume/vehicle of my own just for fun ... teeheehee. XD

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 01:56:18 am »

Yeah, the armory lists all sorts of things about your WoW characters, though sometimes it's inaccurate.  My shaman used to have "tinkers" from engineering that gave a bonus like a parachute or brief speed, while also adding to spell power, crit or something.  I remember the armory not registering these as enchants, even though they counted as such in the game itself.  I've yet to encounter groups that would boot you for having too low a score, though when I go on dungeon runs, it's either with friends, or with random people who usually take what they can get.

I like the story progression through Vashj'ir, and yeah, the underwater combat is like flying.  If anything, getting around is easier than in a normal, dry zone, with increased speed even on foot.  A friend had been dreading Vashj'ir until he found out how it worked.  A lot of players still seem to skip ahead to other zones, hit 85, then go back for achievements or rep.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 02:17:33 am by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 07:58:34 am »

I never seem to see very many people in Vash'jir but all the layers of phasing probably has a lot to do with it. It's almost like an instanced zone like one of the dungeons. So far there hasn't been any need for a group so I guess that's all okay if the whole thing can be completed solo. One of the things they messed up in Icecrown was creating phased group quests. Some of those were literally impossible to do because not enough people on the server were on the same quest to form a group.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 11:44:14 pm »

The phasing would definitely help limit the number of people you see.  I've seen Vashj'ir get less populated over time though, as other players speed through on the way to 85.  Often seeming to go too fast to stop to read anything.  :3

I can't yet say for other zones, but Vashj'ir is definitely very solo-friendly.  The phasing might have something to do with that.  As you pointed out, phased group quests cause issues.  Couldn't even use the meeting stone in front of Icecrown Citadel if the other raid members were in other phases of the courtyard, depending on which quests they've done or were on.  Guess it wasn't a big issue since the mages parked Dalaran so close to the Lich King's front door.  (What exactly stopped Arthas from attacking Dalaran, anyway?  He had countless undead dragons and gargoyles at his command.  Striking down a floating city would seem a simple matter.  :3  Unless it had more defenses than were visible.)
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 10:04:18 am »

On Tuesday I saw someone get the Loremaster of Cataclysm achievement ... so much for making the game harder than LK was lol. I hope that person has a lot of patience because it will be some time before Blizz cranks out any new content.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 04:57:41 pm »

Heh, I wouldn't enjoy the game if I raced through it like that.  I've been happy going through the new zones at a slow pace, and doing side stuff like some dailies.  I'd expect quite a few people to get bored fast with so many 85s running around, already in great gear.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2010, 06:05:45 am »

There's a quest in Hyjal where you have to get this dragon/person "Sethira" (or something like that) that was yet another experience that to me points out what this game has become. As usual, no one wants to group up so we all stand around and queue for our turn at the quest mob. Two others were already there when I showed up - a horde warlock and alliance druid (I'm on my horde warlock as well) - so I let them have their turn at it. Then another blood elf warlock shows up, grabs the quest mob, finishes it and flies off. Repeat again with an alliance rogue. (Both of them had protodrake mounts btw.) And over the years I've learned to have patience with crap like this, and I eventually got it done anyways. The alliance druid stayed and went in bear to help all of us that were there, so I was embarrassed into throwing some DoT's up for the other guys too. No one ever said a word to each other until I emote thanked the druid when I left. So there are still a few nice people out there, but the jerks still outnumber them by a wide margin. It's not something I'd expect Blizz to ever fix because the jerks pay the same subscription as everyone else, however it does take a lot away from the community experience.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 05:25:13 pm »

There are three things that Blizz could do to deal with "hot spots" where different players are competing for some poor monster.  They could put a player on that quest in a different phase, so you don't even see any other players, but I suppose that's fairly complicated, and maybe not worth the effort for a quick quest.  They could have the quest mob drop a banner or something else that anyone can loot, like the old gronn quests, so you don't necessarily have to kill it yourself.  They could also just make the monster a really tough elite, forcing most players to group up if they want to get the quest done.  But it seems like they've pretty much eliminated group quests for the sake of speeding up leveling.  :3
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2011, 06:25:16 am »

Erm, well the above post really wasn't a comment on the game itself, but rather the game community ... or lack of it. ^_^;; Blizz could produce a single player version of WoW without much modification of the game as it currently stands. WC4 anyone?

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:20 pm »

Well yeah, if the community was ideal, none of those game fixes I mentioned would be necessary.  ^_^;;  While questing, a lot of people act like it's a single player game, with the occasional interruption as you wait for someone else to do something.  It's too bad the outdoor world isn't like Guild Wars, where you had everything to yourself, unless you invited others along.

If they ever make a WC4, I'd hope it would be set in a different time, or something.  WoW and it's first two expansions were largely based on the settings and story of WC3, and they've squeezed about as much as they possibly can from it.  I think they could be doing more with the franchise, with different kinds of Warcraft games.  I'm a bit surprised that a Guitar Hero starring Arthas never materialized after the Activision merger.  He was an early member of Elite Tauren Chieftain, I believe.  :3  He was featured twice in WC3 credits rocking out with a guitar.  Maybe that was a different Warcraft back then.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2011, 08:57:50 am »

I've never really been a fan of Guitar Hero, but my son likes it and it's fun to watch him play. ^_^ Blizz is supposedly working on some next generation, super secret mmo that undoubtedly they are pouring a lot of our subscription money into. It should be interesting to see what they come up with that, but hopefully they'll start leaking info soon because like you say - there isn't much left to be milked out of the Warcraft lore. It was surprising to hear you say that you're thinking about leaving WoW again so soon, especially not having touched a lot of the new content yet. But, if interest in doing school work is taking over then it is a good thing to get away from WoW for a while. The game does seem to be a lot more fun than the boring drudgery I remember from before taking the year off. Maybe you didn't take enough time off if it is going sour on you already.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: