Anime Lights
April 22, 2018, 03:02:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of Games  (Read 4935 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 27, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

You want a large screen for games and a few other things too, though yeah, the computer itself doesn't have to be anything like a desktop.  Games may not even require you to have much in the way of hardware for much longer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »

The next consoles won't even take disks, everything will be downloaded straight to the HD. I doubt we'll have TVs in the near future too, or at least a TV that's separate from our computer. I see Blu-Ray players as becoming  useless soon too.
I already buy movies and TV shows off iTunes, I don't see the point in getting one since you can stream them to your TV.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:04:36 pm »

Yeah, owning hard copies of games and movies will be a thing of the past soon enough.  Just a few things they'll need to work out.  The prices on older games need to drop as they would in real stores, and even with a great internet connection, it could take a long, long time to download a PS4 game.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sony tried to copy the concept of OnLive.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:20:14 pm »

We already have the Playstation, Wii and Xbox Market places. I think the prices do drop on older games don't they? Virtual console games are pretty cheap.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:48:55 pm »

Just checked the Playstation Store.  Some of the prices on full PSP games did drop over time.  Though they wanted $39.99 for last year's Madden, the same price as this year's slightly different version.  I don't know if it's Sony or EA that decides those prices.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 12:26:23 am »

Probably EA
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 11:43:41 pm »

I've been thinking about how chains like Gamestop would work with consoles that make you download every game.  Maybe in the store you'd purchase cards with codes for individual games, or general points like Nintendo has done.  Otherwise, Gamestop would depend on sales of console hardware, accessories and used games for outdated systems, which might not cut it.

Thought I'd split that topic with the focus on gaming.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:15 am »

Cards and consoles probably. They might end up going the way of Blockbuster in a console generation or two.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:53:26 am »

Just losing used game sales would be a big blow to Gamestop.  But with downloads you wouldn't have to worry about buying an opened, "new" game that was on display, which they've been criticized for allowing.

The current console generation seems to be on track for being the longest yet.  Going on almost 5 years, and there's little talk of what's to come after Move and Kinect.  Maybe that will change by the next E3.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:13:06 am »

Even the newest handhelds are just the current ones with a few tweaks, the next nintendo handheld will be a 3D DS. I wonder if game makers aren't sure where to go from here, or if the recession is a factor.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:31 pm »

I think, if not for the Wii, Sony would be talking about the next console by now.  Nintendo went against tradition by focusing on something other than hardware power, and forced Sony and Microsoft to work on motion controls for their current consoles, instead of focusing on the next generation.  Whenever the next round starts, we'll probably get three systems with similar graphics and controls.  Kind of like PS2/Gamecube/Xbox.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 05:50:20 am »

The commercials for PSMove make it sound like a new console rather than an add on.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:35:59 pm »

It might as well be a new device, since you need to start a second collection of PS3 games for it.  Kinect launched today, saw a story about it possibly not recognizing the faces of people with darker skin.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6283514.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 07:15:54 pm »

Several cameras have had that problem. Looks like something they would fix before it launched.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 10:49:03 pm »

Could be a little while before they perfect the technology.  I've wondered if the clothes you wear, or the colors of your room, or the lighting could affect how well it works.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: