Anime Lights
April 22, 2018, 02:45:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Quidditch  (Read 1727 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:13 am »

Quidditch, the game popularised in the Harry Potter books, is now being played by students around the world. So just how do you turn a magical sport into something that can be played in real life?

As a group of college students gather on a cold Sunday morning outside the White House for their weekly sports practice, it's hard not to smirk.

Watching adults run around the field with household brooms and mops between their legs, wearing makeshift wizards' capes, is quite a sight, after all. But in non-wizarding society (or the muggle world, for those of you in the know), one has to improvise.

"A Quidditch game might look crazy to somebody who's never seen it before," says Mariah Hegelson, treasurer of the George Washington University team, in Washington DC.

"But to an external observer watching a basketball game for the first time, that might look crazy too," she says, without a hint of irony.

For those who have managed to escape all things Harry Potter, Quidditch is the fictional sport popularised in JK Rowling's best-selling books.

Quidditch is to wizards what football is to humans. In the books, Harry Potter and his friends play the sport at school. There is also a professional league, and even a Quidditch world cup.

It was only to be expected that children brought up on the books - the first was published way back in 1997 - would want to play it in real life.

The first key step towards creating a muggle version of the game was taken by Xander Manshel, a student at Middlebury college in the US state of Vermont, in 2005. Along with his friend Alex Benepe, he rounded up a group of students prepared to give it a try, sticking as closely as possible to the game played by Harry Potter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12044924
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:09:11 am »

Middlebury college in the US state of Vermont

Why am I not surprised ...  Roll Eyes

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »

Hehehe, I'm a bit surprised that I didn't learn about this sooner.  Interesting that it started in the US, but I know there are tons of fans here.

Does this sound like something Vermonters would do?  :3  Or just ones from that college?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:16:32 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:53:46 pm »

Not a whole lot of Vermonters actually go to Middlebury because it is a school for wealthy people ... which is probably why there is a bit more than the normal level of weirdness associated with it. ^_^;; To me, Quiddich would be better simulated by players riding bicycles, motor scooters, or even on horseback as piloting a vehicle is a key element of the game. Polo is probably the best example of a real world game that is similar to Quiddich. Running around with a broom tucked between your legs makes little sense and is probably hazardous to your health.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »

Heh, the brooms are a key connection to the game that Potter plays, but yeah, this sounds dangerous.  Maybe one day humans will play games on small flying vehicles that could be fashioned into many shapes.  We're definitely not on track for having hoverboards by 2015.  (Or other stuff depicted in Back to the Future II.  ^^; )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: