Anime Lights
April 25, 2018, 01:34:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cat Expected to Report for Jury Duty  (Read 2466 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 14, 2011, 10:03:56 pm »

Boston resident Sal Esposito recently got called in for jury duty. He might have some problems performing this required task, though, as Sal is a cat.

The problem arose after owners Anna and Guy Esposito listed him on the last U.S. Census under "pet."

Anna filed for his disqualification of service. He was not "too old," "ill," or a "convicted felon," so she filed that he "cannot speak English."

The jury commissioner denied this request.

According to WHDH Local News, Sal is still expected at Suffolk Superior Court on March 23. His owners are still trying to clear up the misunderstanding, but if they fail, Sal will be making his first appearance in court.

The following video from KGW.com details the report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/13/cat-jury-duty_n_808031.html

When you file for disqualification of service, there ought to be a fifth option: Individual in question is a pet!

The commissioner must have denied the request assuming it was a human being.  I wonder how many other mix-ups there will be as they use census data to find jurors.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:11:20 am »

This is what happens when morons choose to follow words on a sheet of paper rather than common sense. It should be no surprise that the American judicial system is so hopelessly fucked up. >_<

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:16 am »

I don't really see why pets need to be included on the census forms to begin with.  I read in another story on this that Sal's owners had to cross out "dog" and write in "cat", too.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:13 pm »

Guess there are slightly different stories on this.  From what I can gather now, it wasn't necessary to list Sal, the owners just chose to, but made sure to list him as a pet.  From the latest I've read, Sal and his owners have to appear in court just to clear this up.  Assuming they allow animals into the building.  I doubt it will actually come to that.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:05:47 am »

I've heard stories about people taking out credit cards and loans under their pet's names. I thought they were just urban legends, since you need a SS number for those things.
Also, I thought that they only called people who'd voted in the last election, not people off the census.
A jury of cats or dogs might make things better. Animals can pick up when a person is nervous or something's not right about them. We could place the defendant in the middle of a room, let the animals in, and if the cats and dogs are friendly toward them, they're innocent. If the animals want nothing to do with them, they're probably guilty.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:54:51 am »

I hadn't yet voted in an election when I was selected for jury duty a long time ago, but it might work differently around the country.  The standards don't sound that high if they'd just take a random name out of the census records.  It shouldn't be that hard to check the background and identity of possible jurors.

Letting animals act as a jury might not be a bad idea.  :3
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 04:57:35 am »

I think you at least have to be registered to vote. Picking a name off a census doesn't sound right, since most people don't get the long form, and the person listed can move or die in the 10 years between.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 09:12:47 am »

I think I did register to vote before being contacted for jury duty.  It does make more sense to use voter registration than census information.  With a census just last year, they might have thought it was the right time to use the results.  Obviously Sal has never registered to vote, though maybe he got on that list through another mix-up.  I just heard that when they tried to tell the commissioner Sal couldn't speak English, they included a note from their vet.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/18/133014363/sal-esposito-would-be-the-purrfect-juror
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

Shouldn't a picture be enough?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: