Anime Lights
January 17, 2018, 12:24:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Brrr...  (Read 4707 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:46 am »

It's about 3 degrees in the early afternoon here in central NH.  I've read that some places in the northeast had to cancel or delay school for the safety of students.  We've had a long string of snow storms too, running out of places to put the stuff.  The piles of snow have partially turned to ice with the temperatures we've had.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:36:44 am »

It was -16 when I went to work yesterday, but I think that my car complained about it more than I did. ^_^;; The only schools that I heard were closed were in one district where they couldn't get the busses started. Maybe they will plug them in next time ...

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

30 degrees and a "blizzard" that turned out to be a dusting of snow. You guys have all the fun.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:08:56 am »

This is the coldest, snowiest winter I've seen up here.  Even people who dress like it's summer (yep, shorts) have had to think twice about going outside without bundling up.  Though today it's actually just below freezing.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:25:08 pm »

Its funny, it didn't usually snow here until a few years ago. I'm the only one in my family who doesn't miss Alabama and its 70degree winters, I'm the weird one who enjoys snow.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:31:36 pm »

Snow can be fun to play in, and pleasant to look at it as it falls and covers the landscape.  It creates problems too, if you get enough of it.  I know someone who had to change his college plans because recent frequent storms made it impractical to commute.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:58:10 am »

Yeah, actually getting out in it, or when the power goes out frequently (happens at my aunt's house when it snows too much), aren't things I like.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

Around here, cities are having issues finding places to put snow, since it's not melting very quickly.  They may dump some into the harbor down in Boston, though that's potentially dangerous with trash or other pollution possibly being in the snow piles.  Snow can also cause a roof to buckle or collapse if too much builds up, like at that football stadium not that long ago.

Anyone else get affected by the latest historic storm?  No ice or rain here, fortunately, just more snow.  Won't be able to see out of the windows in the front on the first floor if we get much more.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:11 am »

The wind a few days ago ripped part of the roof off the hospital. No snow, but we're getting it soon.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:31:57 am by Galaxia » Logged
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »

They keep closing schools around here to give workers time to clear snow from the roofs of the buildings.  I wondered recently if they'd give kids the Fourth of July off if the school year was extended long enough.  We normally go into mid June in these parts.  We're not into July yet, but winter is only half over.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:01:29 am »

I've been pushing the snow off the roof of my house in small areas as time permits. There's only about an hour of daylight left after I get home from work, but I have gotten a lot of it done this past week. I saw a report that it might warm up a bit next week which will help with the melting. However, if it gets too warm too fast there will be a lot of flooding problems.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »

I cleared some snow off a roof a couple of weeks ago.  We can usually count on falling ice to destroy parts of the fence here, though.  It got warmer recently and there was some melting, then the big puddle out front became an ice rink when it got colder.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:08 pm »

They keep closing schools around here to give workers time to clear snow from the roofs of the buildings.  I wondered recently if they'd give kids the Fourth of July off if the school year was extended long enough.  We normally go into mid June in these parts.  We're not into July yet, but winter is only half over.

My cousin in Ky probably will, she didn't go at all in December, and I think she's only been to school about a week since Christmas break. Last year she barely got a summer break at all.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 09:25:24 pm »

A school year that long must wreck a lot of plans.  Does her school have air-conditioning?  None of the schools I went to around here ever did.  When it got hot in June, the best we could hope for was getting to sit close to the box fan the teacher would bring in.  Days like that usually weren't productive, requiring 180 days doesn't guarantee better education.

Though, I've heard that in China, students have a longer school year, are forced to work harder, and score higher.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »

As far as I know they do. You have to up there, it gets humid in the mountains.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: