Anime Lights
January 23, 2018, 01:35:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Homefront's Japan Release  (Read 1626 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:30:38 am »

GameLife Your Source for Gaming News Since 20XX
Previous post
Japanese Publisher Wipes North Korea References From Homefront

* By Jason Schreier Email Author
    * February 4, 2011  |
    * 5:00 pm  |
    * Categories: Console Games, Japan

First-person sci-fi shooter Homefront posits what might happen if North Korea invaded the United States. But the Japanese version tells a slightly different tale.

THQ will publish Homefront, created by New York City developer Kaos Studios, in the U.S. on March 16. In Japan, it will be published on April 14 by Spike, a company that specializes in publishing Western games like Dragon Age II and Metro 2033.

Spike says that it will remove all mentions of North Korea from the game, according to its official website (Japanese, via Andriasang). The country attacking America will instead be referred to as “A Certain Country to the North,” run by the “Northern Leader.”

(Chris says: So… Canada?)

Spike is instituting these changes in order to comply with guidelines about references to actual persons and real places from the Computer Entertainment Rating Organization, the Japanese equivalent of the American ESRB.

Spike says that it will not change any other aspects of the shooter.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/homefront-north-korea/

A dumb change, but Japan actually faces a real threat from North Korea, and pissing them off isn't a great idea.
And I never noticed it before, but I can't name any Japanese games that take place in a specific place, even ones that take place in the 'real world' have generic settings.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:49 am »

I hadn't ever thought about it, but you're right, I can't name many Japanese games with real-world locations.  In Ninja Gaiden II, you go to New York City, after it's already been overrun by demons and the locals seem to be "missing".  But after that, you go to locations vaguely based on real places.  One town that looks like it's in Italy, another that seems to be in Russia, but they don't give specific names, at least in the American version of the game.

Japan does face a real threat, though I'm curious about how they'd depict North Korea invading the US.  It still seems inevitable that the game will anger North Koreans sooner or later.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:00:59 pm »

Just like that Call of Duty game where you assassinate Castro.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:24 pm »

I heard about that in Black Ops, just looked it up.  I guess you end up killing Castro's body-double, since it takes place decades ago.  In Cuba, some thought that Black Ops "encourages sociopathic attitudes of American children and adolescents, the main consumers of these virtual games".  Other countries tend to overreact to games and movies.  Then again, it's not that unusual here either.

Just checked out the Homefront website.  The trailer shows a pretty bleak vision of an occupied and ruined US, full of death and high tech drone guns.  They'll have to do something about all the North Korean emblems on the military vehicles for the Japanese release.  The trailer also had actual news footage of North Koreans and their leaders, won't have that in Japan either.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:23:58 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:59 am »

There was a similar uproar in the US years ago when a British film came out depicting Bush's assassination. It was essentially banned since US distributors refused it.
I saw the trailer a while back when another site mocked it. The premise of North Korea taking over the world is pretty ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:06:45 am by Galaxia » Logged
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

Bush never was that popular overseas.  I'd agree that Homefront has a very ridiculous premise.  It looks like something unearthed from the Cold War years, and makes North Korea out to be military power like the Soviet Union at it's peak.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:33:23 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: