Anime Lights
May 27, 2018, 04:34:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Greatest Game Commercials  (Read 4427 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 01:19:28 pm »

I wonder how well it will actually sell. Most games based on real events aren't that timely. I think there might have been an Iraq/Afghanistan shooter or two, but the only ones that come to mind are set in the past or future. Even the GTA games are set in the past.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »

Vice City and San Andreas were set in the past, the 80s and 90s respectively.  GTA 3 and 4 are set in the present day, you get frequent mobile phone calls in 4.  Always preferred Vice City myself, probably because of the radio stations.

Games set during the Iraq war tend to be controversial, there's one that Konami decided to not publish.

Six Days in Fallujah is a third-person shooter video game described by the developer, Atomic Games, as a tactical shooter and survival horror game. It is the first game to focus directly on Operation Iraqi Freedom, mainly the Second Battle of Fallujah or Operation Phantom Fury. The game follows a squad of U.S. Marines from 3rd Battalion 1st Marines  over the span of six days. The premise of the game has been the subject of controversy; with questions raised as to its appropriateness, especially given the fact that the true event the game is based upon was so recent. It was originally to be published by Konami. On April 28, 2009, a spokesman confirmed to the Associated Press that Konami was no longer publishing the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_Days_In_Fallujah
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 07:08:24 pm »

You're right, I thought they were all set in the 70s and 80s. GTA3 was even lost missions because of 9/11.

Another cut is that of Darkel,[23][24] an in-game character, for the final version of the game. Mentioned in several early video game publications and websites, Darkel was to be a revolutionary urchin who vowed to bring down the city's economy. One mission involved stealing an ice cream van, using it to attract pedestrians, then blowing it up[25] (this mission would eventually be given by El Burro instead in the final version of game to kill a group of gang members). Darkel was also originally expected to give out Rampage-like missions,[26] and even had his voice recorded for this part.[27] Rockstar later decided that they would like to go back to the original system of giving out rampages as featured in Grand Theft Auto and Grand Theft Auto 2. Although Darkel and his missions were removed indefinitely, the character remains listed in the manual's credits, as well as having a character texture retained in the game's data files.[28] Another reminder of Darkel's existence is an abandoned tunnel in the city, associated with the character in the official website, and includes four homeless people in a group wielding Molotov cocktails. Both the tunnel and the four homeless people are retained in the final version of the game.

That was the Iraq war game I was thinking of, I didn't know it was never released.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:52 pm »

I suppose that 9/11 still helped to make GTA3 infamous, considering the timing.  I didn't play it at first, but I remember the odd ads on TV with opera music.

You don't usually associate "survival horror" with a real world military setting.  I remember reading about the Iraq game years ago.  I remember the main issue people had with it being the potential negative image it would give to the US military.  A battle in that setting is nothing like heading into a field of Nazis in a WWII game.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 09:49:20 pm »

A lot of things were edited because of 9/11, but I think more of what made GTA3 infamous was that it was more realistic and violent than it's predecessors.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:56:07 pm by Galaxia » Logged
mcbride14medico
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »

That is quite true @Galaxi...there were many edit done because of 9/11. Though it was bit realistic but was fun to play!! and better than this edited part.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: