Anime Lights
June 25, 2018, 12:37:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Memories of old battles  (Read 3043 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »

About 12 years ago, my family got it's first Windows computer.  A black IBM Aptiva from Radio Shack, which might have needed upgrades before it ever got to the house.  The simple integrated audio could never handle Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II quite right, with the sound usually not there except for startling short bursts of noise (like some hellish bat-like thing above your head on a desert planet).  The video was integrated too, and best for 2D games, or very simple 3D.  2D was all we really needed, playing various games, including the original StarCraft.  Must have been the first PC game that I really loved, after years of only being exposed to consoles.  I'd think about it while sitting in English class.  Then have to wait my turn to use the computer once home.  I'm loving the long overdue sequel too, which has renewed my faith in Blizzard and brought back a lot of memories, despite some (good) changes.  The campaign really draws you in, with interesting characters and choices to make, sometimes determining who will like you.

Around then I played Final Fantasy VII on the same computer, but that was a console port, before I finally got a Playstation.  The port was full of bugs and glitches, at least for me.  I still loved that game too and, like others, would love to see a remake, if it kept the same feel.  The well detailed 2D environments had a charm that doesn't seem to translate easily to 3D.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:42:27 pm »

Hmm, I don't really have a lot of "old" battle memories as there was a large gap between the time that I had played video games in high school and the time when I started playing PC games only a few years ago. Some of the real old stuff was Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Donkey Kong, none of which had really epic battles worth remembering. The local arcade place used to have gaming contests with various games but I didn't do all that well. I did have a friend that had succeeded in playing all 256 screens on Pac-Man, after which it starts over at the beginning believe it or not. ^_^;; Eventually we did get one of the Atari 2600 game consoles and there was a game called Adventure which was the closest thing to an RPG that I can remember from those times. More recently, one of the few epic battles that I can remember were the Blightcaller and Battle of Darrowshire raid quests in Eastern Plaguelands from the pre-BC days of WoW. World raiding has all but disappeared from that game nowadays. v_v

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:44 pm »

Now that you mention it, yeah, world raiding in that game is mostly dead.  I remember being in a large group to kill the Blightcaller guy at least once, maybe twice.  I remember seeing the battle of Darrowshire at least once, but it might have been after hitting 70, and my group wasn't full.  Even those old world raids might be gone soon with the Scourge being pushed back.  I've been inside arcades occasionally, but it's been a while and I've seen them disappearing.  When the town's mall opened about 20 years ago it had an arcade, but that was taken out to make way for a little juice bar and additional mall exit next to Old Navy.  The best arcade I've been to is still in operation though, and has built a literal museum known around the world since I last went there.

http://www.classicarcademuseum.org/

Located at:

http://www.funspotnh.com/

My first home game machine was an NES.  Started with Mario and I still play Mario games occasionally, just finished the first Super Mario Galaxy.  Fun game, but sometimes I had issues with the motion controls.  ^^;  By the end of the year, all the current consoles should have motion control of one sort or another.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:34:55 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:13:24 am »

I think that you're right about the Blightcaller and Darrowshire raids being removed with the new expansion. I've also heard some talk about some of the old dungeons like Wailing Caverns being removed as well with changes to the Barrens. Blackfathom Deeps will be even further underwater so I can see them removing that instance too. Blightcaller himself will still be around because of the connection to Sylvanas but maybe he will have to go live in the Undercity after the retreat of the scourge. For a little while the city raids were popular again but only until everyone got their black bear mounts. (Which proves to me that people play for the goodies and not the experiences.) I remember getting invites for the city raids but I never went because it was always too late at night. So no "For the Alliance" or "For the Horde" achievements for me lol.

Hehe, the arcade museum looks just like the places I used to go to in high school. The arcades used to have rather dim lighting so that you could see the games better and smoking had not yet been banned from public places so arcades used to be smoky like bars. ^_^;; Actually people used to smoke everywhere you can imagine so the world really is a lot cleaner than it used to be. I've only been to the Lake Winnipesaukee area once but it is very nice there. VT doesn't really have a resort area like that so we used to go to Lake George in NY when we were kids. There are a few smaller pizza arcade type places around here similar to the Funspot, but not as big. All of the old video game arcades are long gone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:17:06 am by Maki-chan » Logged

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »

I got invites to the city raids too, though time wasn't really why I declined.  My higher level toons are mostly in the Alliance, but that's because it's the preferred faction for friends that play, or used to.  I personally always found the Horde more interesting, plus the Alliance often seems to get advantages in numbers and attention from Blizz, so I didn't feel like going to pick on Sylvanas or Thrall.  ^^;;  As for the king of Stormwind, I'd definitely go on a raid to take him out, he's my least favorite city leader.

It's been about 20 years, maybe more, but I've been to Lake George, I have good memories of the trip.  Went to Funspot often when I was younger, but from the looks of things, it was a smaller operation back then.  A while back Funspot opened small spin off arcades in places as far away as Florida, but they all closed down.  Guess the decline in the number of arcades is part of that stigma that exists in this country.  People would rather play at home.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 10:26:22 am »

Hmm, I guess I never really thought much about the leaders and whether I liked them or not. ^_^;; If I look at it now, I would agree with you about Wrynn of Stormwind - he seems way too fanatical which is very bad for a leader. It's too bad that Jaina separated from Stormwind because she'd really fit the role much better. Staghelm of Darnassus always seemed like a pompus ass and if I remember right, Alliance used to cheer when the Horde killed him. Tyrande is good though and I'd prefer to see her as sole leader of Darnassus. I feel pretty neutral about Bronzebeard of ironforge but I somewhat like Valen of Exodar so I guess the two of them should stay.

On the Horde side, I've always liked Thrall so I'm not too happy that he is being kicked out in the expansion. Replacing him with Garrosh just adds to the insult but I suppose as long as you have Wrynn in SW, Garrosh makes an equivalent countermeasure. No doubt a lot of Horde will cheer when the Alliance kills Garrosh. In Thunder Bluff I don't think I had much feeling either way about Palehoof. He always seemed to be easy going and would probably fare just as well if TB was part of the Alliance instead. I've always though that Sylvanas was mad as a hatter ... gangrene of the cerebrum might tend to have that effect ... but she seems intelligent enough to care about her people so I guess she is a good leader even though I may not like her personality ^_^;; And the fellow in charge of Silvermoon I can't even remember his name, but as long as Keal is not leading the Blood Elves things should stay reasonably peaceful.

The way game characters like these have rich background histories is something completely different from the old days. Roleplaying games wouldn't really work in the old style arcade games due to the amount of time required to understand and enjoy RPG's. Another thing that hurts arcades is that you have to pay every time you want to start a new game, whereas with at home console games you only pay when you first buy the game. Afterwards it is unlimited free access. Games with a monthly fee are almost the same as arcade games, however the monthly fee is a lot less, even by 1980 standards. $15 would be one month of WoW or Aion but only 60 plays of Pac-Man or Donkey Kong. 60 plays could be done in one day, so it isn't hard to imagine how expensive video gaming was 30 years ago ... bottle of Coke was 25 cents, a pack of cigarettes 50 cents ... ^_^;;

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 07:20:21 pm »

I'm not enthusiastic about Garrosh taking over Orgrimmar, either.  Like Wrynn, he's not that fond of races other than his own, even in his own faction, and is quick to go to war.  But I guess that's the main idea, the two are in the game for PvP purposes. 

I think the leader of Silvermoon is called Rommath.  He doesn't seem very well established as a character, but I guess that can't be helped, Kael'thas was the only blood elf leader ever really featured in Warcraft III.  Kael went kind of crazy, and is officially dead after his appearance at Magister's Terrace.  Maybe Sylvanas could have been queen of both the Forsaken and her old kingdom.  If the blood elves got over her creepiness.  She's had quite an ordeal, even for one of the undead.

Yeah, RPGs or other games with a lot of content to see aren't well suited to arcades.  When I do see an arcade game featured at a game news site, it's usually a fighter, maybe a racer.  I play both kinds of games occasionally, relatively cheaply at home.

Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:00:24 pm »

Hmm, it's never easy to figure out what the Blood Elves might do next. From what I remember, they only joined the Horde because of the falling out with the Alliance so I doubt that they would be very accepting of any of the Horde leaders as one of their own. The Blood Elves would be a good candidate for the birth of a third faction which of course Blizzard would never do. It would certainly make the game a little more interesting just like creating the new races. Three way battlegrounds would be a mess to develop though hehe. ^_^;;

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:08:01 pm »

Yeah, a certain human was the one responsible for driving the blood elves away from the Alliance, through his distrust of anyone not of his own race.  The blood elves followed Kael'thas at first, of course, and he became an ally of illidan.  Those two and Lady Vashj probably could have been the leaders of a third faction, to be honest, especially if Illy stayed friendly with the Burning Legion.  Hmm, blood elves, naga, and...corrupted night elves or demons as playable choices?  I'm sure they could expand beyond two factions in the future if they put the effort in.  Night elves could have also been separate from the current main factions.  They just needed allies against the orcs pushing into Ashenvale.

While I'm looking forward to playing as a worgen and goblin, I keep getting the feeling that the first months of Cataclysm will be the last good time to play WoW, even if another expansion follows in 2012 or so.  Unless they decide to work on the things they've been avoiding, like better RP support, or housing.  In just about every competing game, you get a house or access to a dwelling of some kind.  Raiding can be fun if you have the time, patience and enough friends, but you could have the very best gear in the realm and still be homeless.  ^^;;
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:35:02 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 06:41:04 pm »

I agree with you that WoW really concentrates on gear and raids and neglects many of the other aspects of the game. I know that the PvP crowd has been complaining for years about problems with the battlegrounds, arena, and a lot of other things. The PvPers complain more in general, but there are some valid points here and there. There are still no ganking deterrents in WoW and as such the world PvP remains pretty much dead. The phased areas will help, but there needs to be some game mechanics to keep high levels from ruining the experience for lots of people. Player housing was planned from the very beginning as evidenced by that unused portal in Stormwind, so what happened? I doubt that we'll ever get a reasonable answer to that. The questing/leveling game is what I've always enjoyed most about WoW, but ever since BC launched they have been buffing the XP gains and nerfing the level requirements to speed things up. It's almost as if they've made it just a farm system to raise raiding toons. A while ago they made a lot of changes to Dustwallow Marsh to add a lot of quests and a new town near Onyxia's Lair. This is what I would like to see more of to make the game better for me and I think Cataclysm could potentially do this. However, it could just as easily go the other way with Blizz taking out a lot of the old content. No doubt, this will happen in Azshara, but that content will be replaced with the Goblin low level stuff. It shouldn't be too much longer before we find out.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 10:31:14 pm »

Cataclysm will bring a lot of interesting changes to old areas.  I wouldn't be surprised if the closed portal in Stormwind disappeared entirely during the remodeling.  The expansion may mostly be an effort to optimize the "farm system" by replacing or simplifying all those classic quest chains.  ^^;;  I still look forward to checking it all out.  At the very least, we can look forward to more quests like the ones that death knights begin with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: