Anime Lights
July 22, 2018, 08:49:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For Star Trek: TNG Fans  (Read 2315 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:35 am »

A little item I clicked on recently.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=52315

It must take some time to get the casting for any production set in place, but it's interesting to see how different a show could have been.  Wesley Snipes?!
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:21 pm »

Lol, I could see Wesley Snipes as the Klingon fellow Worf but not Geordi Laforge. ^_^;; Worf isn't even on the list for a character, so he must have been a last minute addition. This also dates from the days when Gene Roddenberry was still alive. After his death in 1991, the Star Trek franchise lost his unique vision and was never able to recapture it. His widow Majel Barrett tried very hard but Gene Roddenberry wasn't someone you could ever replace.

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:42:10 am »

I could see Snipes as Worf if he did a good, deep Klingon voice.  It's kind of funny with Worf being a late addition, since he remained a persistent character even after TNG ended.  I agree that things did change after Roddenberry died, but I enjoyed DS9 and Voyager, even though I couldn't watch DS9 locally for most of it's run.
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:49 pm »

DS9 was okay, but I liked Voyager better because the way the series was setup was more like the original Star Trek. They were essentially wandering homeless in deep space with little or no ties to the homeworld. They were going to be out there potentially for 70 years in a wild and unknown territory. This is what Gene's "wagon train to the stars" concept was all about that he had based the original series on. It's too bad that Voyager came after his time, because I think Roddenberry would have made an epic series out of it.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:09:52 pm »

Yeah, Voyager could have been a lot different with Roddenberry working on it.  It still had a lot of memorable episodes.  I enjoyed the show, never missed it each week.  Watched all of Enterprise, too, though I kind of wish I didn't.  ^^;;

Sometimes I wonder how things might have turned out if Trek had stuck to syndication, rather than being the flagship franchise that kept a network afloat for a little while.  Maybe the same, if the same people were making the creative decisions.  Lately those choices are left to a whole different group.  I personally like the new movies being made, though longtime fans seem to either love or hate them.  (My parents loved the last movie, while one sibling refused to watch it.  ^^;; )  They're really mostly meant to appeal to a new, wider audience, which also suits Paramount's pockets quite well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:20:36 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »

The syndication of Star Trek I'm sure was an artifact of Gene Roddenberry's bitter past experiences with television networks, specifically NBC. Even in the end, I doubt that any of Star Trek was legally bound to any specific network. Syndication is simply sales to the highest bidder, so whichever network was willing to pay the most was the one to run Star Trek. I'm guessing that UPN paid a ton for the syndication rights, and maybe why they aren't around anymore. ^_^;; But somehow there must have been an "in" with the Paramount production studio that was making the show. Star Trek was produced by Paramount for a long time, so I'd guess that their relationship with Roddenberry was a favorable one.

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

I think UPN had trouble just getting established.  It wasn't available in all areas, so the Trek shows it featured likely had less exposure than TNG or DS9.  I can certainly see why Roddenberry wouldn't like dealing with networks.  ^^;;  Now CBS is involved, streaming the original series on their site, but I'd be surprised to see a brand new Trek show airing on their network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: