Anime Lights
June 25, 2018, 12:38:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: If there had been more spin-offs...  (Read 2162 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »

Sasami did well for herself, with multiple Pretty Sammy series and the more recent show.  If other main Tenchi characters earned their own shows suited to them, what might those shows have looked like?  If the intent was also to spoof a popular show, there are a lot of settings I could picture one or more of the Tenchi characters in.  Ryoko in red as she slays demons in feudal Japan, occasionally going out of control, with Ayeka as a fallen priestess hot on her trail.  (Probably not as former lovers.  ^^;  Hmm, then again, there's that Pretty Sammy scene in Tenchi Universe.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:31:02 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:15 pm »

I think that the Time and Space Adventures story would make a good backdrop for potential other character spinoffs -

Sasami - We all know about the various Pretty Sammy shows
Kiyone - A The Fugitive type series with Kiyone on the run, ever escaping the Mihoshi juggernaut.
Ayeka - A historical drama series a la Saiunkoku Monogatari or Haruka Beyond the Stream of Time.
Ryoko - A criminal justice or crime drama type series. The Bonnie and Clyde story was really good, I liked it a lot and would have liked to see more of this story.
Mihoshi ... well she did actually get her own spinoff - The Mihoshi Special. The one they did in the Time and Space Adventures where she played a housewife in a daytime drama type story was pretty good, but I also liked her as a schoolteacher in the various Pretty Sammy series. ^_^
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 02:55:23 pm by Maki-chan » Logged

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:36 pm »

That's true, a lot of potential material right there in the middle of Tenchi Universe.  ^_^  Apart from the main cast of characters, you've also got potential stories for others, especially in the OVA timeline.  Nobuyuki is at least 200 going by OVA 3, if my info is right, and Katsuhito is of course much older.  The Masaki family has witnessed different periods of the history of Japan.
PizzaRolls
Hollow

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:35 am »

What about Washu though?  She didn't get to have an alternate universe since she was busy fixing the machine.

What I'd really like to see is a Noboyuki spin-off.   Wink  Haha, at least it would be "entertaining."
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:54:05 pm »

That's right, Washu missed out since she was busy with repairs!  A lot of potential for her, either in alternate universes or the distant past.  I'd have liked to see more than those brief flashbacks in the baby episode.

I think Nobuyuki really could star in his own show.  Could find out what he was up to during the Meiji Restoration.  (Besides sneaking into places he shouldn't.)
Maki-chan
Gillian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:32:04 am »

Umm, yeah a series about Noboyuki might not be suitable for general TV audience, especially if Masaki Kajishima actually wrote it. ^_^;; It could still be a good show though. A show based on Yosho's 700 year hiatus on Earth could also be very interesting as it would cover some tumultuous times in Japanese history leading up to the unified empire. Another character that has a lot of potential is Achika from Tenchi Muyo in Love (the first movie). It's a bit hard to place her in a particular genre because she fits well with all of the variations in the movie - comedy, sci-fi, romance, and even kendo martial arts. Achika is someone a writer could have a lot of fun with. XD

Oh my goodness! What would we do without our friends?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 11:22:04 pm »

A lot of untapped potential in all of these characters.  Wonder how many names and identities Yosho has used on Earth, to avoid drawing suspicion from normal people?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: