Anime Lights
July 22, 2018, 08:46:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: American Toons and TV  (Read 6010 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 11, 2010, 09:50:55 am »

It's hard to the Disney Channel was once a premium station like HBO.  I wouldn't watch everything on their animation channel (Disney XD, formerly Toon Disney), but they do run Naruto Shippuden, if with occasional heavy editing.  Always liked Gargoyles, too.  That's basically the new Cartoon Network, as CN increasingly favors live action.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:27:30 am by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:51:57 pm »

I can vaguely remember when it was a premium channel. Do they run commercials now? I don't watch anything on TV outside of Adult Swim and the Daily Show.
I've heard that CN is heading in a new direction, all that live action stuff apparently isn't making money.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »

I've yet to see a commercial on the new Disney Channel, but then I don't ever leave it on that station for long.  CN is getting heavily involved with live action, they seem convinced that it's the future.  Maybe it began with those first live action Scooby-Doo films.  Disney XD is heading in the same direction, with some new live action show coming up that would have fit in on Disney's main channel.  I guess that's why they no longer call it Toon Disney.  The old Disney Channel actually had programming geared toward adults at night (still around PG, of course).  They ran the classic Disney cartoons a lot.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:43:11 pm »

I remember they used to run something late at night, an old black and white show where Walt Disney would show how they animated movies or how they made things at the park work. Probably all Hannah Montanna reruns now.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »

*checks*  Some kids in a rock band, pretty close.  They do allow ads, for their own stuff, like the latest Tinker Bell direct-to-video movie.

There used to be a lot more to watch on cable.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:44:11 pm by Webmaster_Kami » Logged
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:11:40 pm »

I miss old school MTV and VH1, they're all reality shows now. Even VH1 classic is nothing but crap.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:53:54 pm »

Yeah, not much music to be found on either channel lately.  I read somewhere that "MTV" no longer officially stands for "Music Television".  Back in the 90s I used to think it was odd they were running so many cartoons, but at least they still had music.  One cartoon was even inspired by anime.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »

I think I read that too. At least the cartoons incorporated music somehow, speaking of which, Beavis and Butthead are coming back.

You mean Aeon Flux?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 10:07:35 pm »

New Beavis and Butthead?  Yep, that's the one, though I was bit too young when it was airing to get into it.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »

Yep, 30 new episodes. Hopefully this won't turn out like Family Guy or Futurama.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZcn7ubEFy8
Mike Judge seems like he's still got it, even if he can't do Beavis' voice right anymore.

I've never watched the cartoon, but I saw the movie when it came out, wasn't that bad.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »

Ah, I thought I had seen that Extract segment before.  I think I saw the original show on MTV occasionally.  It was very popular with my classmates.  There was one guy at school who looked a lot like Beavis, so he was often called that.  Don't recall if he particularly cared for it.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

It was big when I was in elementary school, of course no one actually had seen much of it, because we were all like 6 and banned from watching it, plus it came on at like 10pm, when most little kids are in bed.  I didn't actually seen more than a glimpse of it until MTV2 started airing reruns.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 10:44:52 pm »

We've never had MTV2 here, at least in the normal cable line-up.  One of the first cartoons I saw on MTV was Ren and Stimpy, way back when it was new on Nick and they didn't seem sure about where it belonged.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:54 pm »

It's not on regular cable here either, it's part of the digital thing you get when you have a box.
I never really cared for Ren and Stimpy, too gross.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:15 pm »

Guess it appealed to boys around my age, but yeah, don't think I'd watch it again.  We watched all the Nicktoons on Sunday mornings for a while.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: