Anime Lights
July 16, 2018, 11:30:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: More Death Note Fans Arrested For Murder  (Read 3099 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2010, 11:00:00 pm »

In 2007, a mutilation murder occurred in Brussels due to the influence of popular Japanese manga “DEATH NOTE”. On the 24th, Belgium police arrested 4 men on charges of murder. The men are Japanese manga fans. They dropped a body off in a park with a few words on a piece of paper from their favorite manga.

According to the law enforcement the 4 men are between the ages of 22 and 24. The murder occurred in September of 2007 and the male victim was living with the other men at the time. The suspects got into a fist fight with the victim over something trivial and then murdered the male.

He was amputated and only the thighs and abdomen were found. In the vicinity of the remains, the suspects left a paper with Japanese romaji saying “Watashi wa KIRA desu” (“I am KIRA”). The police believed the crime was committed by a manga fan and began their search.

“DEATH NOTE” is a story where the person called KIRA continuously kills people with the help of the god of death. In Belgium it has been translated and has become popular among young people.
http://community.livejournal.com/aramatheydidnt/1249534.html
WTF people?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:26:08 pm »

I'm familiar with that anime.  Never imagined it getting linked to actual murders.  Though it was the central theme...
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 11:32:39 pm »

There's been a couple linked to it, plus a bunch of kids expelled for making "Death Notes"
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 11:38:05 pm »

They actually wrote out how someone would die and when?
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 11:46:10 pm »

Yep, and then got caught with them at school.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 11:57:30 pm »

A death threat or a plan to kill, to most people.  Wouldn't matter if the writer was just goofing off.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 07:57:35 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_note#Banning_by_People.27s_Republic_of_China

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_note#Copycat_crimes_and_imitations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manga_Murder
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »

Ugh, well I guess out of all the things that anime characters can do in horror or fantasy settings, writing down names is the easiest to mimic.  There are better ways to do your "creative writing".  Heck, in school I was known mostly for a horror story about an Egyptian tomb.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »

I remember that.  If you did that a few years later, they probably would have expelled you
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:30:02 pm »

That may very well have happened.  I guess the fact that the blood wasn't coming from any specific people helped, too.  My extended version was still edited a bit for content when it was published.

Back then it was unusual to encounter anime fans in school.  I didn't really get into it myself until after graduating.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »

It was until a few years ago, the internet's made it so much easier to get a hold of, especially now with all the streaming sites where you can watch for free instead of buying overpriced DVDs or downloading fansubs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: