Anime Lights
August 19, 2018, 08:40:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fox Blocks Cablevision Users From Hulu  (Read 2637 times)
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2010, 08:23:55 pm »

Cablevision and News Corp habve been battling or rather "negotiating" for over a year for a new retransmission contract. While this is not unusual as Cablevision has been in the news over the past few years with negotiations with the likes of Disney as well as the folks behind the Food Channel.

Last year negotiations broke down between ABC (Disney) and Cablevision and ABC pulled the switch on Cablevision subscribers since an agreement could not be made which caused the channels to go black and missed part of the Oscars. Thankfully everything was resolved and the Oscars were back on approximately 10-15 minutes into the start of them.

Last night around 12:04am, News Corp pulled the plug on Channel 5 (Fox) and My9 since negotiations have failed. While they are still working on a resolution, lots of mud slinging has been going on and it appears that binding arbitration might be the only solution. As you may know, Fox carriers a lot of premium shows that people watch. American Idol, House, Family Guy, The Simpson, and The Cleveland Show just to name a few. Usually these blackouts last a day or two but this is where things get even more interesting.

News Corp, who is part owner of Hulu.com, decided to block Cablevision subscribers from accessing Fox programming on Hulu.com. As of this writing according to the Washington Post, News Corp has restored Fox programs to Hulu for Cablevision subscribers. What's interesting is that it's very hard to see the bad guy in these battles due to all the mud slinging, but when News Corp decided to turn on Cablevision subscribers, who have absolutely nothing to do with this, it's just plain wrong.

Many folks are crying foul, probably why News Corp re-instated the Fox programs on Hulu, and arguing why there is a need for "Net Neutrality."
http://www.world-gaming.com/staff-blogs/jason/1492-news-corp-fox-killed-hulu-for-cablevision-subscribers.html

Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 08:45:28 pm »

I think I remember the ABC blackout.  I can just imagine the outrage when News Corp. cut off certain Hulu users.  I've never had a channel blacked out, but I still don't care much for Comcast.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:48:31 pm »

Comcast owns Hulu, I wonder if we'll still have to pay for it when it becomes a subscription service or if they'll include it with the internet.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:52:23 pm »

That's a good question.  Maybe they'd just fold Hulu into "Xfinity".
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 08:57:36 pm »

That's basically Hulu with a different name.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 09:26:25 pm »

Still no Fox in the New York area tonight.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:20:14 pm »

Do you get TV from NY?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:08:04 pm »

Nope, I'm in the Boston television market, most of the local channels are based there.  Used to pick up stations in Vermont and Quebec (french of course) a long time ago here in NH, not anymore.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:59:02 am »

When I lived in Ohio, we had a couple of Canadian cable stations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: