Anime Lights
June 20, 2018, 03:47:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Recently opened!  Register and say hello!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Greatest Game Commercials  (Read 4474 times)
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:51 pm »

http://www.dorkly.com/article/6452/the-dorklyst-the-15-greatest-commercials-in-videogame-history

I remember some of them, but really only from the mid-90s and later.  Nintendo really is lucky that Zelda went on to be so successful after a first ad like that.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

circe154@hotmail.com circe89 circe154
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:14:06 pm »

That Lion King isn't burned into my brain, but it rang bells. But the ones for Spyro, Parrapa, Crash, Smash Brothers and Dreamcast are. Smash Brothers was my favorite. I never liked Ozzy for Warcraft, probably because you know just like Mr. T and Mini Me, he's never actually touched the game. Well, I could see Mini Me playing.
The Australian ad, and that Zelda ad you mention seem like things that were only played once and were never seen again until the internet uncovered them. Who thought either one of them would be good ideas?
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:09 am »

They were passing out "mohawk grenades" in WoW years after those Mr. T ads.  Not sure if the grenade vendors are still around after the Cataclysm changes.  According to Wikipedia, the guy in the Zelda ad was John Kassir, who also did the Crypt Keeper in Tales from the Crypt, though that would have been later.  They sum up the ad well:

One of the first commercials made under Bill White, director of advertising and public relations, was the market introduction for The Legend of Zelda, which received a great deal of attention in the ad industry. In it, a wiry-haired, nerdy guy (John Kassir) walks through the dark making goofy noises, yelling out the names of some enemies from the game, and screaming for Zelda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_%28video_game%29#Release

It says on that page that one ad could cost Nintendo $5 million back then.  Maybe they were trying to save some cash on that one?  The earliest Nintendo ads i can remember seeing were for Super Mario All-Stars and Yoshi's Safari.  Never got Yoshi's Safari, probably because it involved shooting at the screen.  My parents weren't fans of Duck Hunt, either.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:57 am »

Never had the gun to play duckhunt with, probably because my NES came with Mario 3. They had no idea games even had guns in them until they saw me playing Tomb Raider, they didn't mind though since I they never saw me killing people.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »

My NES came with Mario 3, too.  It took my parents a while to get used to the idea of their kids playing games with guns in them, not counting blasters in Star Wars.  We were allowed to rent Turok: Dinosaur Hunter after I said you could turn the blood off.  Which you can do...  Or you can make it green.  It did have human enemies, I heard that for the German release they all had to be changed to robots.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:48:24 pm »

They didn't mind as long as I wasn't killing people, thankfully they never noticed that several levels in Tomb Raider involve shooting security guards, or that Wolfenstein was all about shooting Nazis (actually, they might not have minded that), as we got older, they quit caring.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:16:36 pm »

Not a lot of complaints about games where you kill Nazis.  After Turok, one of my parents briefly threw a fit when we were found blasting each other in GoldenEye 007 multiplayer.  She might have thought that a Bond themed game would be more than just a shooter, though that's basically what the movies were about at the time.  We had been allowed to watch Bond movies for pretty much our whole lives, too.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:13 pm »

Strange you were allowed the Bond movies considering how strict your parents were about that stuff. Not that most of it wouldn't have gone over your heads. My parents usually went along with whatever the moral panic of the time was (The Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, etc), but quit caring about the games we were playing around the time the media started attacking them. Not that I didn't have to delete Doom from the computer when "it caused Columbine".
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »

I knew someone who had his Doom game destroyed when his mom found it, and that was well before Columbine.  Games will remain a popular target for the media and politicians for a while yet, especially as they get closer to being photo-realistic.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:39 am »

Doom was violent for its time, but it's nothing compared to a lot of games released today.
Video games have been the go to boogie man for over 15 years, I wish they'd switch it up like they did in the 90s. We need another satanic rock star or raunchy TV show to blame our problems on.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 07:27:38 pm »

It's odd that TV doesn't receive more of the blame, considering how packed it is with raunchy and occasionally violent stuff.  Though games get treated differently because critics can argue that the player is the one committing the things that would be crimes in real life.  Never mind the fact that most crimes would happen whether or not someone saw them in a fictional game world.  I've seen some footage of the upcoming new Mortal Kombat, I expect some controversy since they're bringing back the gore of the good old days with much greater realism.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

Unless congress tries to ban it, I doubt we'll here much of it. They tend to focus on more realistic games like CoD and GTA. In Mortal Kombat, there's a character than can kill people with her hair.
I was just thinking, for awhile, they were attempting to turn social network sites into the new boogyman. But older people started using them and they backed away. Now you can't watch CNN 2 minutes without the host consulting twitter or facebook.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:52:03 pm »

The media and politicians do tend to focus on games with realistic settings.  Down in Mexico they're trying to ban the next Call of Juarez before it even comes out.  Previous games in the series took place in the old west, but this one involves a modern drug cartel and real locations.
Galaxia
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 06:07:37 am »

I can understand Mexico being sensitive to a game like that. Drug cartel violence is destroying their country.
Webmaster_Kami
Administrator
Vasto Lorde

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 11:24:34 am »

Yeah, it's one case where politicians aren't over-reacting.  I'd have kept the series in the old west.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: